Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Japanese vase with cranes - help needed with the signature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neo
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Japanese vase with cranes - help needed with the signature Reply with quote
Dear All,

I have bought a black glass vase depicting 3 cranes (applied with maki-e technique ?) which look like origami cranes. It looks like the vase is Japanese 1930's.

Can somebody help me with the translation of the red signature on the bottom ?

Photo : http://smvk.cwahi.net/Origami/al00.htm

Thanks in advance!
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The writing is fairly stylised, and the first character is so simple that the stylization is really felt, making it hard to be sure. But my best guess is that it reads 八景 - hakkei, meaning "Eight Views."

Eight is a most traditional number for 'views', e.g. in a series of paintings or prints. The Eight Views of the Xiao and Xiang Rivers (in China), adapted to be Eight Views of Ômi (i.e. of Lake Biwa) in Japan, are easily the most common themes within this mode.

But, as for whether or not that's the name of a particular studio or artist, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Congrats on owning artwork! I look forward to beginning my own collection at some point, once I start having an income.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Neo
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Japanese art Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your translation. If I can find the studio or artist I will let you know!

Don't be mistaken, japanese art doesn't have to be expensive. The only trouble is identifying the original works from the copies.

Some sellers / dealers don't know what they have which makes buying easy and some countries don't have many Japanese collectors. Don't ask me why but most people seem to prefer Chinese art...

I am already very glad that this forum exist because otherwise I would have a hard time getting signatures translated via the Internet.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: