Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Total War: Shogun 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many of you plan to buy or have already bought Shogun 2?
yes
79%
 79%  [ 19 ]
no
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 24

Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Total War: Shogun 2 Reply with quote
Let's gauge what the interest is in this game with one of Obenjo's scientifically and clinically proven polls.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what little I've seen of it (about it), it looks like an awesome game. I played Medieval Total War (or was it Medieval Total War 2?) when it came out, but lately I just don't really take the time, make the time, for video games at all, no matter how good they may be.

Maybe over summer break I'll give it a poke, try it out. Or maybe I'll try to focus over summer on finishing labeling & tagging all my photos from last summer, reading books & articles I haven't been able to read because I've been too busy with coursework, and writing up Wiki articles (or actual scholarly-type articles, for that matter).

So, that's where I stand - my justification for voting "no." Not because I have any real opinion that the game is bad or anything, but just because I don't tend to play games.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Shisendo
Bridge Guard
Bridge Guard
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Total War: Shogun 2 Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Let's gauge what the interest is in this game with one of Obenjo's scientifically and clinically proven polls.

Thanks for setting it up. You read my mind.

BTW, is Turnbull listed as a consultant again for STW2?
Mencius
Ninja
Ninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Total War: Shogun 2 Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

I've already bought and played it. Have really enjoyed it. The AI in single player launches naval invasions, forms large, balanced armies and even on normal mode is not passive. If you go to sleep, it's game over.

I can thoroughly recommend it. Smile
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I initially had no interest in buying it, but just now I see that you can buy it via download on amazon.com - that's so convenient I might buy it when I get a new laptop.
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not much of a gamer due to time. That being said, I do plan to purchase it sometime later this year.

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Total War: Shogun 2 Reply with quote
Shisendo wrote:
BTW, is Turnbull listed as a consultant again for STW2?

Of course he is. You can't have a Western pop culture sammyrai project without involving Turnbull Laughing . Why, 'ol Steve has even 'published' an online magazine in conjunction with the game (thanks to the Shogun for the info).

And also of interest might be the free Flash game being run by STW2 on Facebook, "Shogun Takeover", where you can take over Japan along with several (dozen) other clans. Several of the SA's members banded together the other day and easily won the site's initial game...took about 12 hours of real time, but the way it's set up you only have to devote five or ten minutes a day to it.
Shisendo
Bridge Guard
Bridge Guard
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Total War: Shogun 2 Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:

Of course he is. You can't have a Western pop culture sammyrai project without involving Turnbull Laughing . Why, 'ol Steve has even 'published' an online magazine in conjunction with the game (thanks to the Shogun for the info).

I did a double take when I first saw the magazine cover. I honestly thought it read "The History of the Sammyrai Wars." Shocked
leakbrewergator
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought this game last week and I am absolutely horrible at it! It's the first PC game I've played since the Oregon Trail, so it took me a while to even figure out the controls. I probably don't dedicate the amount of time necessary to become proficient in the actual gameplay, though. I usually play a battle and barely win, then play a battle and lose, before turning it off.

I'm usually pretty good at picking up on video games. Hopefully, I'll come around on this one soon.
maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will probably buy it after I finish Empire Total War, Dead Rising 2 and Fallout 3. My game list is sooooo backed up.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
After a week and change, I have to give it a "meh" rating.

Visuals: Was expecting better. Heavy on the Edo-period woodblock print as basis for design. The individuals on the battlefield have pretty bad issues with pixels disappearing when they turn their heads, etc (also same problem with general/daimyo characters you click on on the map--the character face that comes up on the bottom left has major visual issues). After playing Empire Total War as much as I have, which has a fantastic engine and runs detailed models in its battle sequences very well, I'm really disappointed that they couldn't do it as well with STWII.

Narrative: Not all that impressed. So far I've played with the Chosokabe and the Oda, and there's very little attempt at any sort of reality or keeping to history. Generals all start out at the same level--so hypothetically Imagawa Ujizane could become a maxed out general with all traits gained, while Oda Nobunaga could languish as a nobody with 1 star and no bonuses. Bollocks. If you're going to do things that way, remove all semblance of "history" and make it an alternate reality Japan. Don't give me a Oda Nobunaga or Uesugi Kenshin and have nothing be special about them. Oh, and Hattori clan? Really? A clan of ninjas swallows up central Japan before me as the Oda clan can even develop a farm? Unimpressed.

Strategic gameplay: It's okay. I do like the knowledge trees, though I wish there was a way I could speed that up (like building schools does in ETW). I also very much like the mission assignments, where you get some sort of bonus for accomplishing a certain goal. Those are fun and interesting. Big fan of including the trade options from ETW. Haven't gotten to the point that Geisha and so forth come into play yet, but if they act like they did in STW:I, I'll be done with the game. Absolutely the worst possible thing they could have done is keep the Geisha in this game. I say that not because of the ahistoricalness of it, but because once the computer develops Geisha, which are all powerful assassins, you're done. Removing them from the game altogether would have been preferred, but since they didn't, I hope they dialed them down at least.

Tactical play: Nice--actually pretty pleased with this. The only thing so far is I miss artillery, but that's from playing ETW so much. Haven't played around too much with alternative units (bomb throwers, or kisho ninja), but we'll see. The only phase of the game that I'm satisfied with to this point.

Bottom line, if you're an ETW/Napoleon TW vet and you're looking for similar game play, you will be disappointed. But, it's what is out there for the PC, and it's not BAD, I just have very high standards. If you've played any of the Nobunaga No Yabou in the last few years, this doesn't hold a candle to it as far as accuracy and detail. But, I wouldn't say DON'T get it. I'll play the heck out of it, despite my disappointment.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
After a week and change, I have to give it a "meh" rating.

Visuals: Was expecting better. Heavy...

Nice review, and spot on. Yes, most "sengoku strategy" games produced in Japan (Nobunaga No Yabou along with Sengoku Tenka Touitsu, Tenka Fubu, Sengoku Spirits, and even off-the-wall stuff like Sengoku Hime) have far more impressive, detailed, better thought-out, and more involved strategy modes. The tactical action, however (at least for me), is the most important part of STW2 and blows away anything in these other games (which tend to have a very unrealistic, arcade-y feel to them).

I can see their rational for starting all generals out as even-it's the school of thought that it's the player's demonstrated skill and ability that should determine how powerful that daimyo gets, not what the daimyo did historically. Still, like you, I'm more comfortable with a system that gives advantages to daimyo based on their historical performance so games at least have a tendency to progress towards historical outcomes (but still not enough of an advantage that a skilled player can't win with a weaker-but better led-clan). When you beat a daimyo like Kenshin, Shingen, Ieyasu, or the Shimazu, you should feel a sense of accomplishment from having done something difficult, not simply beating up on a ham'n'egger.

I didn't run into any of the graphics glitches you described (and haven't played Empires/Napoleon/Rome/Medieval, so can't compare them to those), but from the game's Facebook page it's obvious there are all kinds of issues with running the game depending on what system is being used with it. Just out of curiosity, do you have the graphics settings dialed all the way up in the options screen?
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For your amusement, Stephen Turnbull is interviewed on the Total War Podcast in conjunction with his status as historical consultant to the game. It's actually not too bad-Turnbull is obviously thinking out his answers carefully and really doesn't make any obvious blunders (aside from butchering the pronunciation of a few Japanese terms, most noticably 'Sengoku', and exaggerating the scope of female involvement in samurai warfare). Of course, the interviewer doesn't seem to know much about Japanese history and is serving him up entry level softballs that virtually any SA member could handle with impunity. I do have to give Turnbull credit for not always supplying the answer the game company wants, such as when he tells them them that naval battles had very little impact or importance during the Sengoku.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
70,000,000 Battles
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since you reposted in here and we've been talking gaming anyways, can I just say I'm not sure whether I'm annoyed with or happy about the way rice harvests are calculated? I get that a bigger castle = more people eating rice, but it really limits you. Twice I've run out of food by building my castles up too much. The farming functions don't increase past a certain point, but you can outstrip your growth pretty quickly if you have a castle and rice exchange tree maxed out.

Essentially, it forces you to think more strategically--you can't just build a string of citadels, you have to have maybe one or two with a bunch of smaller castles. I hate it, yet I think it's brilliant.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
Since you reposted in here and we've been talking gaming anyways, can I just say I'm not sure whether I'm annoyed with or happy about the way rice harvests are calculated? I get that a bigger castle = more people eating rice, but it really limits you. Twice I've run out of food by building my castles up too much. The farming functions don't increase past a certain point, but you can outstrip your growth pretty quickly if you have a castle and rice exchange tree maxed out.

Essentially, it forces you to think more strategically--you can't just build a string of citadels, you have to have maybe one or two with a bunch of smaller castles. I hate it, yet I think it's brilliant.

I thought it was a great subtle touch. Citadels of the type in the game were rare in the Sengoku (probably only three-Osaka, Azuchi, and Odawara during its later years) so it's historical. They were a tremendous drain on a daimyo's resources, both in manpower and resources. It doubly drained the food supply by taking farmers away from the land and also bringing people from farther away into the castle town. So they should be rare and only a large, built up economy should be able to have one. I also like how a growing market in the castle town drains a food surplus. The only thing I don't like is that to an extent it should be possible to speed up a building's construction by expending more resources. After all, Azuchi sprang up from basically nothing in three years-having to go through all of the little steps to build a citadel (or any other building) when you have the technology, resources, and manpower to put it on the map right away makes no sense.
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
I thought it was a great subtle touch. Citadels of the type in the game were rare in the Sengoku (probably only three-Osaka, Azuchi, and Odawara during its later years) so it's historical. They were a tremendous drain on a daimyo's resources, both in manpower and resources. It doubly drained the food supply by taking farmers away from the land and also bringing people from farther away into the castle town. So they should be rare and only a large, built up economy should be able to have one. I also like how a growing market in the castle town drains a food surplus.

Yeah, I simultaneously love and hate that too. Great replication of actual conditions. Personally, I'd prefer they take out the dang ninja before getting this hyperrealistic, but whatever, right? My only concern is if they are even handed about it with the computer controlled entities. When I was taking over (Shimazu what up!) at the end of the last game I finished, it seemed like every Takeda and Hojo castle I took towards the end had been upgraded to at least the next to the last level. They need to be held to the same rice limitations.

Quote:
The only thing I don't like is that to an extent it should be possible to speed up a building's construction by expending more resources. After all, Azuchi sprang up from basically nothing in three years-having to go through all of the little steps to build a citadel (or any other building) when you have the technology, resources, and manpower to put it on the map right away makes no sense.

Meh, this doesn't bother me so much. I get what you're saying, but it would be impossible to implement in the game, I think.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They must have been listening to Domer. The 'Play As The Ikko-ikki' DLC pack is now available for TWS2.
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
They must have been listening to Domer. The 'Play As The Ikko-ikki' DLC pack is now available for TWS2.

Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just added it-here's what you get:

"The Ikko Ikki Clan Pack adds the iconic "warrior monk" (NO, They're not frikkin' warrior monks!-Tatsu) clan to Total War: SHOGUN 2 and a wide variety of brand-new content for use across the different game modes of SHOGUN 2.
The Ikko Ikki "warrior monk" Clan

A new clan for use in single or multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles
8 new unit-variants specific to the Ikko Ikki clan
New skill trees
New Ikko Ikki Monk Agent with his own specific skill tree

The Ikko Ikki Clan Pack also includes

The Warrior Nun unit – can be trained by any clan except the Ikko Ikki
New Naginata Warrior Monk hero
New Historical Battle: Nagashima (Ikko Ikki VS Oda)
Ikko Ikki armour set for Avatar - includes hood, robes and barefoot leg-pieces.
New Retainers for use in the Avatar Conquest mode."

I find this great for several reasons. One, I much prefer my avatar as a monk than a samurai. Two, I can already foresee my Uesugi army filled with nothing but Warrior Nun units. Hoo-Hah! Third, kicking Nobunaga's ass at Nagashima will be such a pleasure (even more fun than sinking his fleet at Kizugawaguchi)-I'm heading off to do so now...
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got it for me and my son.
Hobestly I expected something better. Both our PCs are top-of-the-line but still the units are "skiing" and arrows looks like laserbeams. this is programming ,not lack of PC resources.

I particularly dislike the chanfron on the horses.

Good mods tools are available here :

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1572

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's the cost? I'll download it as soon as I finish with my current Date game.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
What's the cost? I'll download it as soon as I finish with my current Date game.

$4.99

Nagashima is a fun battle-Oda has set the fortress on fire, and you have to 'break out' of the castle before your units are trapped by the flames (which steadily spread from maru to maru), fighting through the Oda army until you can get to Nobunaga and Honno-ji his ass. There's no sitting back and letting the enemy come to you.
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the weekend Shogun 2 is 33% off:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34330/

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Mencius
Ninja
Ninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since I last posted they got DX11 working, which is great. But what has struck me is that it was very stable on release with no real game-stopping bugs. This hasn't happened with a Total War game since Medieval. Rome Total War had the AI build massive fleets that served no real purpose. And Empire... well, 'nuff said.

As for realism, Total War games aren't historical in that sense. They don't set out to be.

I'm looking forward to the Rise of the Samurai DLC. Spiffy new campaign map, amongst other things. Smile

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/12/total-war-shogun-2-rise-of-the-samurai-screenshots-storm-in-steam-pre-orders-available/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: