Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The Samurai Archives Podcast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
So for the handful of people listening to the podcast, any requests or thoughts on some future topics we should tackle?

The most obvious set of topics is delving into what you’ve already started to do with the planned ‘Samurai Behaving Badly’ podcast-the ’10 misconceptions’. A ninja podcast is a MUST. Episodes related to famous battles-Sekigahara, Osaka, Kawanakajima where not just the battles but the campaigns surrounding them are examined. The Genpei war. Episodes for famous personalities-Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Uesugi Kenshin, wise Shogun Yoshimune. An episode devoted to the Heian-Kamakura manor/shugo system and how more and more groups got their fingers into the pie. Armed religious factions, ranging from the warrior monks to the Ikko-ikki. Sonno-joi. Hideyoshi’s invasion of Korea. Stuff that’s general enough to expand your listener base but that you can take in new directions.
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
kitsuno wrote:
So for the handful of people listening to the podcast, any requests or thoughts on some future topics we should tackle?

The most obvious set of topics is delving into what you’ve already started to do with the planned ‘Samurai Behaving Badly’ podcast-the ’10 misconceptions’. A ninja podcast is a MUST. Episodes related to famous battles-Sekigahara, Osaka, Kawanakajima where not just the battles but the campaigns surrounding them are examined. The Genpei war. Episodes for famous personalities-Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Uesugi Kenshin, wise Shogun Yoshimune. An episode devoted to the Heian-Kamakura manor/shugo system and how more and more groups got their fingers into the pie. Armed religious factions, ranging from the warrior monks to the Ikko-ikki. Sonno-joi. Hideyoshi’s invasion of Korea. Stuff that’s general enough to expand your listener base but that you can take in new directions.

I think you've covered all possible future topics. Ha!

I would be really interested in a podcast about armed religious conflicts, like you mentioned. You could dispel the myths about the sohei and their popular image. I'm sure that could work into a podcast about popular misconceptions as well.

Great job so far, though. Really good stuff!
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, we need to work with what at least one of the three hosts bring to the table, and well, some of those don't quite fit in to my strengths, so it sort of depends on who can lead the group. For example, Nate led the Nagashino podcast, since he's by far the expert. The more recent podcast was generally enough to where we could all contribute, as are the next few.

When it comes to dispelling myths like Ninja or "samurai hated guns", I found out that it's actually not that easy to do it well and not sound like "we're right, they're wrong, so there!". It's more tempting and easy to give a bunch of logical and reasonable reasons why these are myths, but more difficult to find hard evidence that contradicts it. I look forward to feedback on our 'samurai hated guns myth' podcast, to make sure we stayed fair and balanced.

Specialized podcasts like ones that cover a certain battle require A lOT of pre-preparation, and since we only know about 2-3 weeks in advance what we're going to discuss, this is why it comes down to who already knows about it, and who has studied it/has an interest in it. And definitely thanks for the ideas, it at least expands the collection of stuff we can grab from.

If anyone else has any ideas, put it here, also if there is any feedback on what we've done so far, aspects you like, aspects you don't like, specific things you liked or didn't like, put 'em here.

And, of course, if you have iTunes, and you like the podcast, (or hate it but want to support us anyway) turn on iTunes, go to the iTunes store, find the podcast, and give it 5 stars! The more votes we get, the more prominent it will show up in the iTunes store, the more listeners we'll get, and in general the better the morale of your hosts will become Just Kidding I found out by accident that giving it 5 stars on your iPod or in your iTunes software doesn't count towards the iTunes store, you actually have to go to the iTunes store to vote for it to make a difference. So, do us a favor, and make a difference!

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shin no sen wrote:
I must really thank you guys. Info is great and some alternative sources are handy as well. John

Amen to that. I think it is one of the main reasons why the podcast is great. The Nagashino discussion so far has been wonderful. Something on Hojo Soun would be nice a future podcast.

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
When it comes to dispelling myths like Ninja or "samurai hated guns", I found out that it's actually not that easy to do it well and not sound like "we're right, they're wrong, so there!". It's more tempting and easy to give a bunch of logical and reasonable reasons why these are myths, but more difficult to find hard evidence that contradicts it. I look forward to feedback on our 'samurai hated guns myth' podcast, to make sure we stayed fair and balanced.

Also, like with the Ninja, we've already done a bunch of stuff on the board. If I were to go back and do a ninja podcast, I'd pretty much go down the list of my previous article, and incorporate Hosokawa Gracia's more recent stuff. In other words, for people who've been around here, it wouldn't be anything new.

Chris is right about the need to keep to stuff one of us has a handle on already. As much as I would love to have the time to discuss all that stuff, I barely have enough time to devote solely to the podcast as it is. I wouldn't want to get on and ramble about stuff I'd read 4 or 5 years ago, and want to be able to document what I'd say. We had a discussion about this after taping the last series of podcasts, and while i think logic and reason is perfectly acceptable by itself as an argument during a podcast, there has to be a certain base level of facts and documentation of them. I think we have that with the guns podcasts. We'd have to do a lot of work in some of these other fields. Not saying I wouldn't want to do the work, just that I might not have the time to really feel prepared. Heck, I felt underprepared talking about subjects I'm researching.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And here's Episode #4, Guns During the Sengoku Period http://bit.ly/mjTvEd

ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shocked MORE rambling on about guns by that Nate guy? When will it ever end?

leakbrewergator
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good stuff as usual, fellas!

One question, though: Do you guys make Travis sit all the way in the corner? Very Happy He's so hard to hear sometimes....
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
leakbrewergator wrote:
Good stuff as usual, fellas!

One question, though: Do you guys make Travis sit all the way in the corner? Very Happy He's so hard to hear sometimes....

Yes. Yes we do. Twisted Evil
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lol. It's true. I need to speak up.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Episode #5 is now available, The Myth of Samurai Giving Up the Gun http://bit.ly/kS40ha

owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another great podcast. Always looking forward to it since it is always informative. Keep up the great work.

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like I haven't been keeping up with alerting everyone to new podcasts here, but I know you're all subscribed to it...! But we're up to episode 8 - which is our three part series on Samurai Behaving Badly (Episodes 6-8 ) where we bring you a rogues gallery of treacherous and dishonorable Samurai scum and villainy including such greats as the 47 Ronin, the Shinsengumi, Hojo Soun, Araki Murashige, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Oda Nobuhide, Ogasawara Nagatada, Ishida Mitsunari, Mori Motonari, and a host of others:

EP06 Samurai Behaving Badly - Disloyalty
http://bit.ly/iGoi36

EP07 Samurai Behaving Badly - Surrender
http://bit.ly/kdnxs9

EP08 Samurai Behaving Badly - Deceit and Deception
http://bit.ly/lxA3ne

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Coming up Monday, Nate swallows his pride and we look into maybe the one interesting aspect of the otherwise dull Edo period Laughing - the maritime defense of Nagasaki. It actually turned out to be quite interesting, and our longest podcast so far.

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
EP09 Maritime Defense of Nagasaki During the Edo Period
http://bit.ly/kwxjDm

After Japan closed its borders and kicked the Christian missionaries out of Japan, it was forced to undertake a national maritime defense to protect against any potential foreign threats. In this podcast, we examine the defense of the port of Nagasaki, from the political and military structure to the actual defenses constructed at the port. We also examine the successes and failures that occurred in Nagasaki, starting with the torching of a Portuguese ship and execution of most of its sailors in 1640, to the drastic failure to defend the port against the British Navy ship Phaeton in 1808.

ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please give us some feedback after you listen--we can see the download numbers, but aren't getting much in the way of feedback. Questions, comments, etc. much appreciated.
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm only just now (finally) sitting down to begin reading the Wilson article on the Phaeton Incident (and I haven't listened to the podcast yet - thought I'd read the article first), but already I can see a very familiar thread here, as he argues against an analysis or understanding heavily focused on technological capabilities, and shifts the focus to strategy, organization, manpower, etc. Sounds not unlike a lot of what we (you) have been discussing on the podcast already.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We have officially kicked off our "INTRODUCTION TO JAPANESE HISTORY" podcast series, with our first episode covering from paleolithic times to the Jomon period. Each episode will cover successive periods, so if you need or want an introduction to Japanese history, this is for you:

http://bit.ly/mXo50f

owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just finished listening to the part two of the Sengoku podcast. I totally understand what the Shogun and Domer mentioned about how academia has dropped the ball on the Sengoku Era and left it to the non-academics. Domer, I feel your pain when it comes to the tactical side of Nobunaga's warfare. One of the better books I bought this year was Nobunaga no Kassen by Gakken. Lots of maps and graphs. Keep up with the great work on the podcasts.

lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was going to leave this as a comment on the podcast site, but I guess there might be some kind of bug, because no matter what I type in, it says it doesn't match the Capcha image.

Anyway, regarding Samurai Disloyalty & Behaving Badly:

It's not nearly as dramatic as the examples we focused on in the podcast, but I just thought of another example - which is probably representative of many more people in similar situations.

Hiraga Gennai was born into a low-ranking samurai family in Takamatsu han (today Kagawa prefecture). He became head of the Shiraishi family upon his father's death (Hiraga is a pseudonym - Shiraishi was his samurai family name), and supervisor of the domain's rice storehouses. So, it's not like he was second or third son with nothing to inherit. But, he abandoned his family and his domain, passing off the position of family head to a cousin, and formally requesting from the daimyo that he be excused from his duties. He became ronin, and left for Edo, where he studied Confucianism, kokugaku, and rangaku, and engaged in all kinds of activities... He's especially known for his popular fiction, and for his more serious writings and activities related to Dutch Studies or Western science, maps, and the like.

Just one example of presumably many who found that the samurai path of loyalty and honor and duty to one's family and one's lord was not for him. And someone who, while much celebrated today as an influential historical figure, and indeed a polymath/genius, a very prominent thinker and writer, was not particularly wealthy at all; he was constantly trying for whatever projects he could to make some money, and all in all, just did not live a lifestyle anything like the romanticized view of the honorbound samurai.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
onnamusha
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordameth wrote:

Hiraga Gennai was born into a low-ranking samurai family in Takamatsu han (today Kagawa prefecture). He became head of the Shiraishi family upon his father's death (Hiraga is a pseudonym - Shiraishi was his samurai family name), and supervisor of the domain's rice storehouses. So, it's not like he was second or third son with nothing to inherit. But, he abandoned his family and his domain, passing off the position of family head to a cousin, and formally requesting from the daimyo that he be excused from his duties. He became ronin, and left for Edo, where he studied Confucianism, kokugaku, and rangaku, and engaged in all kinds of activities... He's especially known for his popular fiction, and for his more serious writings and activities related to Dutch Studies or Western science, maps, and the like.

Just one example of presumably many who found that the samurai path of loyalty and honor and duty to one's family and one's lord was not for him. And someone who, while much celebrated today as an influential historical figure, and indeed a polymath/genius, a very prominent thinker and writer, was not particularly wealthy at all; he was constantly trying for whatever projects he could to make some money, and all in all, just did not live a lifestyle anything like the romanticized view of the honorbound samurai.

Didn't Hiraga Gennai die in a bar fight? Talk about "not a romanticized lifestyle!" Do I have the right guy? I need to listen to these podcasts. I had trouble loading them before, but since I've upgraded my hardware, it might work this time!
"It is largely left to her (Nature) own natural bodily perfection, and she has no special need to resort to artificial coloring and powdering to look beautiful." -Takeda Shingen's "death poem," borrowed from Zen literature.

http://twitter.com/NagasakiOsada
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002457986799
http://tennterakoya.blogspot.com/
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gennai accidentally killed another man (possibly in a bar fight or the like; I'm not sure), then died himself a month later in prison.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The podcast host can hook up the podcast with applicable sponsors to help me pay for the podcast fees, but they want 250 responses to the below survey:

http://survey.libsyn.com/samuraiarchives

If you don't want to do a survey, please don't, but if you're willing, it will help on podcast hosting fees if we can find sponsors. Thanks!

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Samurai Archives Podcast just got 4000 downloads in 24 hours on 2/4/15, a record day. Has anyone seen it mentioned anywhere to account for the giant jump? It's great,but knowing what caused it would really help me out and capitalize on it.

narukagami
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
The Samurai Archives Podcast just got 4000 downloads in 24 hours on 2/4/15, a record day. Has anyone seen it mentioned anywhere to account for the giant jump? It's great,but knowing what caused it would really help me out and capitalize on it.

I spent the last 24 hours breaking into people's homes and downloading things onto their computers.

Actually I think it might have had something to do with the 47 ronin martialtalk episode.
"When the Portuguese first landed upon Japan’s shores in 1543, they stroked their handlebar mustaches and said, “You know, that whole honorable swordsman thing is working well for you, but what you really need is our brand of GUNshido.” They then shot the word “PORTUGAL” into the side of the Emperor’s palace." - Omri Petitte, PC Gamer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: