Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The Samurai Archives Podcast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
narukagami wrote:

I spent the last 24 hours breaking into people's homes and downloading things onto their computers.

Laughing

narukagami wrote:
Actually I think it might have had something to do with the 47 ronin martialtalk episode.

Actually Jaredd's Martial Thoughts podcast only gets a few hundred downloads an episode, so there's no way that can account for 4,000 in 24 hours. Something pretty big, be it a big Youtube page or big podcast, or even big blog, must have mentioned it. I just checked today, and the Samurai Archives podcast is #30 on the "What's Hot" list for all history podcasts on iTunes, and #39 for all history podcasts on iTunes, so something big mentioned it. I just wish I could figure out what.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage

Last edited by kitsuno on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total
maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
How many shares from FB?
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
maikeruart wrote:
How many shares from FB?

Podcast episodes usually get less than 5 shares. I've done every form of google search I can think of, and nothing, so it must be something other than text that got the word out. But I'm not even sure about that, because there is no real rhyme or reason to the episodes that were downloaded that day, a random mix of episodes got around 100 downloads each, and then it dropped off - oddly enough, episode #54 got the most downloads, which seems pretty random. If there is a general increase over the next month or so, then maybe more listeners were picked up, if not, it might be a problem with the stats itself, although since the podcast was in the "What's Hot" section and ranked in the 30's overall on iTunes, something seemed to happen. It would be nice to know where it came from just so I could try to take advantage of it, but I guess it will remain a mystery. Last time the happened was in November 2013, there was a huge increase, and daily downloads permanently doubled, but I never found out how people found out about it then, either.

maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ask people on the next cast? Also an answer email question ep would be fun.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
maikeruart wrote:
Also an answer email question ep would be fun.

We've tried that, but the questions we get are ridiculous, for the most part. Usually they're so gnat's ass detailed that we'd have to spend weeks researching the answer for something that really isn't more than the one person would be interested in ("Hi, love the show, I was really hoping you could discuss the differences between the sword maker Bizen no kami Kanemitsu III and Bizen no kami Kanemitsu IV, particularly their respective approaches to furnace temperature changes during the month of October, 1543, and how that differs from the later work of Bizen no kami Kanemitsu II in the early 1510's..."), or they are just very bland and not very approachable.

Bottom line, we do take questions, and sometimes we've used them as the starting points for shows, but to really do any justice to someone asking a legitimate question, it'd take a lot of effort just to get familiar with what it is they're asking to form an answer. I specialize in 16th century warfare and military thought; while I can certainly discuss Edo period poetry, it's a lot harder for me to just pull information out of my databanks. So if someone wants a detailed discussion about Edo poetics, they're out of luck. If they asked for discussion about the social role of poetry, etc., then we'd have something we could dig into, but we never get generalized questions like that. It's always "I'm really interested in the use of the verb "suru" in Basho's poems from his trip to Oku..."
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd love to do a Q&A ep, but Nate's right. We get about 1 or 2 questions a month, and usually it's something super specific or super general. Either a question like Nate mentioned, or "A Bakumatsu episode would be cool"-type general topic. We do get good ideas, recently someone asked if we'd talk about Samurai women, we should do that, and I probably wouldn't have thought of that on my own, so definitely we want the questions to keep coming, but 90% we can't really do anything with for one reason or another.

lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neat.

As for samurai women, I did recently read a really interesting biography of a Nishimiya Hide, who was a lady-in-waiting to the wife of Tokugawa Nariaki, Lord of Mito. You get a really interesting glimpse into a samurai woman's upbringing, life in a samurai household, and what it was probably like for a great many people after the Meiji Restoration when their samurai patrons (and their own samurai background) could no longer support them, and they were left to fend to support themselves, by whatever marketable skills they could.

It comes out of a book edited by Anne Walthall, called "The Human Tradition in Modern Japan." I don't suppose anyone else has come across it?

I also thoroughly enjoyed a chapter in there about Shinanomiya Tsuneko, daughter of Emperor Go-Mizunoo, and about her life growing up in the Imperial Court.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my experience, when the average reader/listener asks for more info on 'samurai women' (forget the fact that 'samurai' is a male-specific word in Japan) what they really mean is 'warrior women' like the mythical Tomoe Gozen, Aoi Gozen, Hangaku Gozen, Tsuruhime, Yamamoto Yae, the 'female riders' mentioned in the Taiheiki, and the myriad of women who assisted in defending castles over the centuries. Not so much ladies-in-waiting or court ladies, as interesting as their lives were.
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, right. Of course.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Downloads of podcast episodes have tripled, and I still have no idea where they're coming from, it's great, but knowing who or what brought it up would help me to figure out how to better target the podcast. If anyone sees anything, let me know. This is a snapshot of the downloads from 12/1/14 to 2/10/15 - you can see the huge jump.

narukagami
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want to second the idea of just asking in an episode, see if you can get at least some people to send an email saying where they heard of the podcast, what they like about it, and what they want to see/see more of.

Also seconding a warrior women episode, you should especially make it a point to address the gender specificity of the term "samurai" and the idea that people associate "samurai women" with meaning "warrior women" exclusively and not including ladies-in-waiting, wives, and other "high class" women.

Hope that's not too specific. Razz
"When the Portuguese first landed upon Japan’s shores in 1543, they stroked their handlebar mustaches and said, “You know, that whole honorable swordsman thing is working well for you, but what you really need is our brand of GUNshido.” They then shot the word “PORTUGAL” into the side of the Emperor’s palace." - Omri Petitte, PC Gamer.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
In my experience, when the average reader/listener asks for more info on 'samurai women' (forget the fact that 'samurai' is a male-specific word in Japan) what they really mean is 'warrior women' like the mythical Tomoe Gozen, Aoi Gozen, Hangaku Gozen, Tsuruhime, Yamamoto Yae, the 'female riders' mentioned in the Taiheiki, and the myriad of women who assisted in defending castles over the centuries. Not so much ladies-in-waiting or court ladies, as interesting as their lives were.

All the more reason to talk about Ameth's "court" lady.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:

Depends on whether the podcast is done for the audience or the discussants. Ideally, it's both-a well informed and engaged discussion received by an enthusiastic audience. With the increase in downloads, now's the time to hold on to those new people.

No reason you can't do both (and more)-part one on warrior women, part two on court ladies, part three on peasant women and townswomen. Personally, I'd love to hear about the court ladies.
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
ltdomer98 wrote:

Depends on whether the podcast is done for the audience or the discussants. Ideally, it's both-a well informed and engaged discussion received by an enthusiastic audience. With the increase in downloads, now's the time to hold on to those new people.

No reason you can't do both (and more)-part one on warrior women, part two on court ladies, part three on peasant women and townswomen. Personally, I'd love to hear about the court ladies.

If someone wants to hear tales of Tomoe Gozen riding off to battle with Yoshinaka, then they're coming to the wrong podcast, or at least need to skip my episodes. Talk about warrior women? Sure, but let's get real, not monogatari-ized. Happy to talk about what buke-class women's lives were like. Not at all interested in pandering to people with grandiose fantasies fueled by pop culture.

This in particular is a topic that annoys me, because a student in one of my dad's classes (my dad's a college prof) contacted me through him to do a paper on "samurai women" and he specifically wanted to cover Tomoe Gozen. I tried to point him towards sources that covered her realistically, pointing out the mythology, etc. I also tried to point him towards Buke women who wielded other forms of power--Hojo Masako, or Hino Tomiko, or One, etc. Nope. He had an image of samurai women swinging around naginata and taking heads on the battlefield, and by God he wasn't deviating from it. If people express an interest in something, I'm happy to try, within what we can do, to shed light on the subject. Most people aren't looking for that.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:

My take is that the only effective/legitimate way to do a podcast on any "more legend than truth" topics would be to talk about the legend while clearly stating it's a legend. For example, the 47 Ronin. It's a good story, so a podcast about the legend, telling the story as the "story" is told is legit as long as it is then followed by a much more factual and analytical discussion about it. I mean, a podcast where we crap on the story of the 47 for 45 minutes is perfectly legit, but telling the legend as the legend and then cutting it down would probably be more "entertaining" while still being legit.

My understanding of fanboys is that they believe all sorts of unreal stuff and want to hear about glorious battle tales or whatever. Obviously, we don't do that. And more importantly, in a "discussion" type podcast, you can't really tell a "story" (like the 47 thugs above), because it's a discussion, and we're not gonna fanboy out on the 47 Ronin. I would have to do a more scripted individual episode to first give the story as a narrative story, then take it from there, and that's actually a plan I'm working on, probably either a really long episode where I tell the story, then retell it based on the known/understood history, or make it a two parter - my work on the 47 for the Martial Thoughts podcast showed me that at least I can do it, it wasn't as painful as I had thought it would be. That's a legitimate way to grab the fanboys without dirtying what we do. (Using the Filthy 47 as an example).

So, in conclusion, in a discussion type podcast, it's really hard to "tell a story", and stories are what fanboys want. But females in Japanese history is a legit topic that we could tackle, there is plenty there that doesn't have to put out fiction as fact, but as with various topics in the broad world of 2000 years of archepelago history, that's a topic I'm not personally equipped to talk about without a lot of reading.

Also, yeah, it would be nice to grab the new listener group, but without knowing what topic sent them here, I don't know where to start. But we have such a varied catalogue, there really is an episode for everyone. We're not exactly married to any timeframe or topic. And we do have an episode coming up that addresses gender stuff, so a toe is being dipped into that pool, too.

ltdomer98 wrote:
Talk about warrior women? Sure, but let's get real, not monogatari-ized. Happy to talk about what buke-class women's lives were like. Not at all interested in pandering to people with grandiose fantasies fueled by pop culture.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
We're not the "confirming your fanboy stereotypes" podcast...Not at all interested in pandering to people with grandiose fantasies fueled by pop culture.

Well, no kidding. Who suggested that? Give them the HISTORICAL women warriors-you can give them what they want (the topic) and what you want at the same time.

Last edited by Tatsunoshi on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
My take is that the only effective/legitimate way to do a podcast on any "more legend than truth" topics would be to talk about the legend while clearly stating it's a legend. For example....etc etc

A good way to approach it, I agree.
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
Well, no kidding. Who suggested that?

Tatsunoshi wrote:
Depends on whether the podcast is done for the audience or the discussants.

I doubt it
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
Depends on whether the podcast is done for the audience or the discussants.

In the context addressed (ie, whether the subject of 'samurai women' or 'court women' is more appropriate for the podcast) 'Done for the audience' means 'talking about the subjects the audience members are interested in' (as opposed to 'talking about the subject the podcasters are interested in'). It doesn't mean 'tell them what they want to hear'.
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:

In the context addressed (ie, whether the subject of 'samurai women' or 'court women' is more appropriate for the podcast) 'Done for the audience' means 'talking about the subjects the audience members are interested in' (as opposed to 'talking about the subject the podcasters are interested in'). It doesn't mean 'tell them what they want to hear'.

The context I addressed, by responding to your comment, was the people who wanted to hear about Tomoe Gozen and other mythical warrior women. In THAT context, I'm not interested in the podcast being "for the audience".
maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like the crapping on people's dreams approach.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
maikeruart wrote:

But you've got to give them something then to be interested in. I get that. The ideal is that they think the reality is more interesting than the fantasy.

You can discuss and address the fantasy, and though I probably sound like it I don't believe that completely dumping on it is the best approach. Unfortunately working with it is much better in a classroom, where you can actually engage in a dialogue and have students complete assignments forcing them to address why there is a fantasy version, what it means that it exists, etc. 47 Ronin is a good example--okay, so the reality is that they were a bunch of thugs that did the period equivalent of a drive by. So why did it blow up into the romanticizd version? Who benefited from that? What does it say about what people of the time WANTED their reality to be, even though it wasn't?

The last conference I was at, there was a really good panel on using Noh and Monogatari in the classroom, and someone on the panel made a really good point that stuck with me. He was talking about using Heike Monogatari as a text, and acknowledged that of course, as a reading of history, it's completely wrong--it's a story made up by Biwa-hoshi, etc. But, he said, rather than treat it like a description of events, it had value if you read certain chapters and discussed what kind of values it displayed. War is messy, and no one can hear you if you're shouting your name across a raging battlefield, so we can assume that nanori was actually a literary device for the story tellers to announce their characters, but that it took hold in imaginations tells us that the idea of individual bravery and family lineages were incredibly powerful images for the listening audience. That sort of thing.

The problem with a podcast is you don't get that long-running dialogue. We can talk about things like the above, but you don't really get a chance to make the audience think about it.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:

But then again, maybe I should just retire from the damn thing. The "audience" is more interested in hearing rants about Hideyoshi's peasant ancestry anyways.

On the contrary. If Carl Sagan had said that, science would have been f*cked. People think they know what they want to hear because they don't know any better, so our job is to show them the stuff they never considered, expand the horizons, as it were. And slaughter some sacred cows along the way, like warrior women riding off into battle in chick-battalions, and 47 Honorable Samurai taking vengeance for their wronged lord, etc. There are a couple really bad history podcasts out there that cater specifically to the fanboys, although I think it is mostly because the person(s) running the podcast really don't know any better rather than a concerted effort to cater to them (and I'm definitely not talking about Cameron Foster's podcast, but I'm not going to call them out here), and they might get more downloads, it's hard to say. But they aren't benefiting the listeners by spewing crap that caters to the listeners unless it is meant for entertainment only. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we're in a good position that a lot of history podcasts on any subject aren't in- we have enough range that even if someone isn't interested in a certain subject or topic, something else that they are interested in will invariably come up, and that's where we have the advantage over all the rest. And we also have different styles - so there is a lot more variety in what we do that what most history podcasts out there are doing, so I think that's why we're consistently showing up on the iTunes rankings. To be #40 in the entire united states for HISTORY is pretty impressive. Not even just Japanese history, or Asian history, but effin' HISTORY in general. That's pretty damned impressive. And on top of that we do our civic duty by getting ideas out of academia and into the pop-world without sullying ourselves with catering to fanboys in the process.

Last edited by kitsuno on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And, yeah. There are advantages to group discussions, and advantages to individual "scripted" lectures. Some topics fit better with one than another. It's harder to address fanboyish stuff in a discussion podcast because the tendency is for the group to basically make fun of the other side and point out how stupid it is, because it IS one sided - they're wrong, we're right. So it's hard to discuss it diplomatically because we're all on the same page. It ain't a dialogue if we're all on the same side.

So it's tough to hold a discussion about a fanboyish topic because all it would be is us saying "This is wrong/stupid/goofy because". It's not a debate if one side is just plain wrong, and so it isn't really that useful. A classroom setting is best, or a crafted, thought out lecture is a good strategy as well for a podcast format. Certain topics work better in certain formats. I'm sure it could be done, but we'd have to think ahead about how we were going to do it and what points we wanted to make.

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
maikeruart wrote:

This forum really needs a "like" button.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: