Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Japanese Armor Photography

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranger
Ashigaru
Ashigaru
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Japanese Armor Photography Reply with quote
I had originally posted these photos on Toraba's Japanese armor forum, but unfortunately the place barely has a pulse anymore.

Anyway, the photos below are from my last visit to Japan two years ago. They sat dormant in my hard drive until a few days ago and thought I would post them.

The genesis of my experiment was trying to capture images of famous armor/arms, remove the background and glass reflection and create the illusion of the subject placed in a pseudo-studio type environment. The majority of post-processing was done with Photoshop.

Unfortunately, the Tokyo National Museum had the armor exhibit closed off for renovation, so I missed a great opportunity to photograph some beautiful armor. I am going back to Tokyo later this year. Hopefully, I'll get lucky next time.

5th Century Armor: Tokyo National Museum

5th Century Armor: Tokyo National Museum

Ii Naomoto: Hikone Castle Museum

Ii Naosuke: Hikone Castle Museum

Ii Naoaki: Hikone Castle Museum

Ando Shigekatsu: Osaka Castle Museum
*Armor of Ii Samurai that presented the head of Kimura Shigenari to Tokugawa Ieyasu after the Battle of Wakae (Osaka Summer Campaign)

Edo Armor: Himeji Castle

Edo Armor: Himeji Castle

Ashiguru Armor: Matsumoto Castle Museum

Katsumoto Katagiri: Osaka Castle Museum

Edo Period Gusoku: Personal Collection

Ii Koshirae: Hikone Castle Museum

Tanto (Kunihiro): Tokyo National Museum

Ikeda Tsuneoki Gunbai: Osaka Castle Museum

Ii Sashimomo: Osaka Castle Museum

Last edited by Ranger on Wed May 25, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They need to have the actual image, but the way that the site is displaying them, you only get a directory.

Make them [url][/url] links and at least people can click on them. Otherwise, make sure that the last four or so characters are the image file extension (e.g. ".gif", ".jpg", etc.)

-Josh
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Paul, refreshing thread. Thanks. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
goldendragon
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
nice picturss, nice work ! I always melt if I see such a works of art.... any more coming or to be seen somewhere ?
Greetz
Danny
GonbeiS91
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great work! Is curious how big are the crests in the third photo!
Ranger
Ashigaru
Ashigaru
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
goldendragon, actually there are more armor/nihonto photos I am working on. I went to Tokyo during Thanksgiving (about 6 wks ago) and captured some very nice works of art on display at the Tokyo National Museum. The last time I visited Tokyo in 2009 the 2d floor was closed for repair so I missed out on the armor displayed there. This time, I took over 700 photos inside the museum, but unfortunately my real world duties make it difficult to spend any time on my images. I was able to work on the two images below. When I am ready to post all the new photos, I will create a new thread instead of placing them here.

Edo Period Tsuba

Tokyo Pano taken from Mori Tower. Massive composite panograph, but the end result came out better than I expected. When blown out to 100% you can see computer monitors and people in many of the windows. The original image is 975 mb large.

GonbeiS91, I'm going on memory, but I would estimate the Ii Naomoto maedate to be just under 2 feet in length.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: