Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Sakuradamongai no Hen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Sakuradamongai no Hen Reply with quote

I finally got around to watching Sakuradamongai no hen (Incident at Sakurada gate).

The main character is Seki Tetsunosuke, who is tasked with the assassination of Ii Naosuke. To jump right in, the actual assassination scene happens within the first 30 minutes of this 2 hour and 10 minute movie, and after that scene I held on for another 15 minutes, but it didn't seem to be going anywhere, so I stopped it and called it a day; there just didn't seem to be anything left that could be interesting enough to keep me watching it. There really isn't anything engaging to the story at all. Basically, aside from the very well done attack on Ii Naosuke's entourage, I find everything else quite uninspiring, and the lack of dramatic build-up to the attack caused everything to fall flat after it - I mean, what's the point of watching a movie about the Sakurada Gate incident if the incident is over 1/4 of the way through? I'm sure I'll watch the rest of the movie in the next week or two, but the fact that I couldn't get myself to watch beyond the 45 minute mark in one sitting doesn't bode well. I was hoping for/expecting something between an action movie and a hard and serious drama, but what I got was a historical/political melodrama with an action scene 30 minutes in. Not what I was expecting or wanting.

I wasn't impressed with the cinematography at all,it was filmed with very uninteresting cinematography, almost exactly the way the 3 hour TBS or NHK dramas are filmed. It also includes annoying narration of historical points every now and then like a TV drama that yanks you right out of the story, and the music was also overly melodramatic and uninspiring. The trailer should give you an idea what I mean: http://bit.ly/jRxew4

All in all it had a very "made for TV" feel to it, very paint by the numbers - either the director was constrained in what he was allowed to do, or maybe he was aiming for the traditional jidai-geki feel. Either way, it didn't work for me. so I'd say unless you can see it without spending much money, or unless you are just a bakumatsu nut, you can probably skip it. Again, I still have over an hour left to the movie, but I can't imagine anything changing my current impression of it.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I said in my tweet to you, sounds boring.

Google+
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I rented this when it came out at my local video store in Japan -- I was really excited for it.

Although I sat through the whole thing (unlike Kitsuno), I was very disappointed.

The pacing was poor.

Unless you have a strong story with excellent character development (which it did not), then don't have the assassination take place near the beginning of the movie.

Oh, and don't use anyone but this guy for Ii Naosuke:

wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Sakurada Reply with quote
Nakamura Baijaku !!!,He is great loved him in "Yoshimune "Taiga as the bed wetting son ,He was the best Mito Mitsukuni period in "Aoi" and was great as Ii in "Atsuhime" .

Notice non of the snowflakes settle on the Assassins Clothing .

Anyway that's really bad news. I had high hopes for this ,Still that's two hours and 10 minutes of my life saved .

So far from this new Crop of Samurai Films and given that i have not seen "Hisshiken Toriashi" id say "Smapoichi The Last " is hands down the best .
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sakurada Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:

Anyway that's really bad news. I had high hopes for this ,Still that's two hours and 10 minutes of my life saved .

Yeah, I took a bullet for you. Or, I took a bullet because of you I can't take it Curses!

Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sakurada Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
wicked iemon wrote:

Yeah, I took a bullet for you. Or, I took a bullet because of you I can't take it Curses!

Thank you Kitsuno. You saved me as well. What's the next stinker you plan on watching?

Google+
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sakurada Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:

Thank you Kitsuno. You saved me as well. What's the next stinker you plan on watching?

Hopefully it won't cost me $60.

wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Sakurada Reply with quote
Whoops sorry !!, I had high hopes for this the Director Sato Junya has an impressive resume ,He was the Number 2
jitsuroku Eiga Director right behind Fukusaku .

Other gems from his resume include Season 1 of "Jin "and Yamato (The WW2 Film not the Spaceship ).

Evil or Very Mad
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sakurada Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
Whoops sorry !!, I had high hopes for this the Director Sato Junya has an impressive resume ,He was the Number 2
jitsuroku Eiga Director right behind Fukusaku .

Other gems from his resume include Season 1 of "Jin "and Yamato (The WW2 Film not the Spaceship ).

Evil or Very Mad
Lemon, I gotta say, the movie does indeed fail to live up to expectations and was a waste of the 3,800 yen I spent on the DVD. The disc is still in my DVD player, stuck on the spot where I stopped watching it 2 weeks ago. The film does come off as a made for TV movie in spots with some out of place narration and the like. Once the explosive assassination scene is over and it starts showing what happened to all the conspirators in the aftermath,the film loses steam and fails to create a credibl e sympathetic link between viewers and the other characters.

Miike's 13 Assassins, while not a "great" movie in any sense of the word, is actually far more entertaining than Sakuradamongai no Hen as Miike does a nice slow boil that leads up to the last 50 minute fight scene, keeping viewers riveted to the seats. And once the fighting starts, whether a viewer thinks it is too violent, improbable or whatever, that viewer isn't going to likely leave their seat or grab the remote to change the channel or stop the disc.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Graculus
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I must admit that I was pretty close to nodding off when I saw it.

I think I will give Sayazamurai a miss and hold out for Nobou no Shiro. Kogawa no Hotori may be worth a look, but Sengoku Basara: The Last Party, is definitely not my cup of tea.

Of course, if you are into Takarazuka, you might like this:

A Beautiful Life - Ishida Mitsunari, his eternal love and loyalty.

I have the poster posted at my blog:
http://ichijoji.blogspot.com/
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Graculus wrote:

Of course, if you are into Takarazuka, you might like this:

A Beautiful Life - Ishida Mitsunari, his eternal love and loyalty.

I have the poster posted at my blog:
http://ichijoji.blogspot.com/
Say...no...I mean...write no more about this...please...(shaking uncontrollably) Sick

Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now THAT is a stage production I would pay good yen to see.
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sakurada Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

Miike's 13 Assassins, while not a "great" movie in any sense of the word

Whatever, man. Thumbs down

wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: SAKURADA Reply with quote
Im with Tat's on this ,Takarazuka mmmm mmmmm mmmm!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4S-tmURPl4&feature=related

Wait a minute i take it all back .
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sakurada Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

Miike's 13 Assassins, while not a "great" movie in any sense of the word

Whatever, man. Thumbs down
Entertaining? Yes. Samurai Chanbara Fanboy wet dream? Yes. Great? No. Greatness is reserved for classics such as Bo & Hutch's Redneck Bushido, Musashi vs the Soul Sucking Ghoul, any film starring Brick McBurly and of course, Sengoku: The Musical, starring SMAP. Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Kobayashi, Okamoto? Who the hell are those guys and who needs 'em?

wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: ako Reply with quote
Don't forget Morning Musume's take on "Ako Roshi " a true gem .
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sakurada Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

Entertaining? Yes. Samurai Chanbara Fanboy wet dream? Yes. Great? No. Greatness is reserved for classics such as Bo & Hutch's Redneck Bushido, Musashi vs the Soul Sucking Ghoul, any film starring Brick McBurly and of course, Sengoku: The Musical, starring SMAP. Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Kobayashi, Okamoto? Who the hell are those guys and who needs 'em?

In a genre of hundreds of movies, it makes the top ten. I'd challenge anyone to name 10 more entertaining Samurai films. I could probably name 5 more entertaining Samurai films, but not 10. For anyone who isn't a snobby movie hipster twit, movies are ranked by entertainment value, not by the type of camera lens or level of high artsyness. Seven Samurai - better. Harakiri - better. Ran - not better. Kagemusha - not better. Ran and Kagemusha and even Bo & Hutch's Redneck Bushido win on the level of "I'm a movie snob who wants to sound intelligent when I talk about a love of fine cinema", but not for entertainment value.

WE DON'T LIKE MOVIES. WE LIKE FILMS. AND SWEATERVESTS.

Last edited by kitsuno on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the other hand, if it wasn't filmed in the 50s-70s and doesn't star someone who is now dead who cuts off limbs with crazy blood sprays while spouting goofy dialogue, it's gotta be crap.

Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sakurada Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

In a genre of hundreds of movies, it makes the top ten. I'd challenge anyone to name 10 more entertaining Samurai films. I could probably name 5 more entertaining Samurai films, but not 10. For anyone who isn't a snobby movie hipster twit, movies are ranked by entertainment value, not by the type of camera lens or level of high artsyness. Seven Samurai - better. Harakiri - better. Ran - not better. Kagemusha - not better. Ran and Kagemusha and even Bo & Hutch's Redneck Bushido win on the level of "I'm a movie snob who wants to sound intelligent when I talk about a love of fine cinema", but not for entertainment value.

WE DON'T LIKE MOVIES. WE LIKE FILMS. AND SWEATERVESTS.
But, Kitano, isn't this really a dumb argument as entertainment value is a matter of personal taste? By not not including Ran in your list, you are probably disagreeing with many folks out there who did find it entertaining and great.

And besides, I already said 13 Assassins was entertaining (just not great). Which means I liked it, but am not going to say it makes my top 10 list. Laughing Honestly, 13 Assassins was fun and it's really a good matinée style adventure flick. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but again, in my opinion, it isn't a masterpiece worthy of "great". The fanboy in me really liked it, as I did in maybe a Shadow Hunters or Lone Wolf and Cub kind of way. Sure, the production value of Miike's 13 Assassins is much better, but maybe you get my point.

And in the end, what do any of us know about samurai films? We only know history and gush over direct to home video movies. There are better samurai movie forums out there, that's for sure. Rolling Eyes

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So what constitutes a great movie in your opinion? Oh wait, opinions don't count. Where is your sweatervest you hipster?!

Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
So what constitutes a great movie in your opinion? Oh wait, opinions don't count. Where is your sweatervest you hipster?!
In my opinion, a great movie is one that I want to watch over and over again that delights on the basis of 1) plot, 2) character development, 3) amazing cinematography, etc. All those things are again, a matter of opinion.

I have probably around 150 samurai/jidai geki films in my possession. I know a few things about the genre, but more importantly on a personal level, I know what I like, and know what I think is great, and know what I think sucks. Again, I said 13 Assassins was good and entertaining--just not great. And there is no use in discussing what constitutes "great" samurai films with you as we already differ on what would be in that list. Laughing Call me snooty, snotty, snobby, sweater vest wearer, or even a secret Usagi Yojimbo fan, if you wish Crying or whatever. But that's all I gotta say about it.

And no,you can't call me highbrow because after all, I am Obenjo Kusanosuke! Also, I freaking absolutely hate "Dr. Who" and dig the "Hanzo the Razor" series!!! "Dr Who" is for smarty pants people with pocket protectors!

Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really like Ran and found it entertaining and I don't wear a sweater vest. I also find Lone Wolf and Cub extremely entertaining also. Laughing

Google+
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sakurada Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Ran and Kagemusha and even Bo & Hutch's Redneck Bushido win on the level of "I'm a movie snob who wants to sound intelligent when I talk about a love of fine cinema", but not for entertainment value.

I would disagree. Kagemusha and Ran both are very entertaining films to me. Matters of tastes and interests and all that. I'll grant that they have their hipsterish fanboys who wouldn't understand Kunitori Monogatari if it bit them on the ass, but it's more than just camera angles and dramatic pauses. Both movies are masterpieces, and I could watch them over and over and over and over. Same with Rashomon, or 7 Samurai, or any of the Yojimbo series. Me saying that is a lot different than hipster boy in your photo saying that.

Haven't seen 13 Assassins, but I would probably be entertained. That said, I would probably not watch it over and over and over. That's not an indictment of the movie, it's a matter of personal taste and interest. Kagemusha and Ran are set in a time I care about. As great as 13 Assassins may be, I doubt it would engage me as much.

Now that reminds me...where's my copy of Owl's Castle...
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ran was OK, primarily watchable for the high-energy battle scenes, but Kagemusha I found to be bland and featuring a rare terrible Nakadai performance. On the other hand, I loved Heaven And Earth, particularly the uncut J-version, which everyone else seems to hate. So as it is with most works of entertainment, it all boils down to personal preference.

Last edited by Tatsunoshi on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sakurada Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:

Haven't seen 13 Assassins, but I would probably be entertained. That said, I would probably not watch it over and over and over. That's not an indictment of the movie, it's a matter of personal taste and interest.

I've seen it four times so far, and I'm ready to watch it again, so make your proclamations after you see it. Or go put on a sweatervest with Obenjo and debate camera angles!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: