Register :: Log in :: Profile   

A possible English translation for Teito Monogatari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tetsunesshin Heiyadanshi
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: A possible English translation for Teito Monogatari Reply with quote
Hey, everyone. I'm new here, so I'll have to tell you something about myself eventually, but for now, I have some news for you. I hope you don't think I'm insulting your intelligence by asking this, but have you ever heard, by any chance, of Hiroshi Aramata's Teito Monogatari? It's something of a legend in Japan; blending fantasy, horror, and historical fiction, it proved to be a national bestseller, so much so that, aside from the first volume (yes, it's divided into volumes) selling 3.5 million copies upon the first release, it is now a major piece of contemporary Japanese pop culture.

However, it isn't that well known in the West. On top of that, the adaptation that have made their way over here (a 4-part anime and a live-action film) are pretty stylized in content, often going for a brand of shock value that leaves some viewers unsettled. I know this because I've been discussing it with the creator of the novel's Wikipedia entry, who is something of a connoisseur of the franchise.

Anyway, between the two of us, we've been asking a couple publishing companies if they'd ever consider translating the original novel at some point. Surprisingly, a contact at Kurodahan Press said that he could talk to the author to see what would be needed to get going; in fact, he suggested using Kickstarter to cover advance pay to whoever would need it (author, translator, illustrator, etc.). Basically, there is an opening for it, and that's exciting for me.

I am trying to make a point, though. The book would still have to sell - at least 1000 people would have to buy it for investors to take notice. So my friend and I are trying to spread some vocal support for it through such means as Facebook, seen here:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Translate-TEITO-MONOGATARI-into-English/122760147810664

Alright, I'm not trying to say that you'll have to donate money; this is just some viral marketing. If you're curious about Teito Monogatari and you'd like to see it translated, please help us out. Our goal is to convince at least 1000 people to promise to buy the book if it goes through (the whole project is tentative), and if we're lucky, we'd like you, the reader of this post, to be one of those 1000. There's nothing monetary involved, it's just vocal support, and we want to get this out to all the right people, wherever they may be. So will you help out? If so, just check out the Facebook page and contact me - through this thread, so no one's privacy is compromised - for further information. Thanks a lot!

On a final note, I'd like to state once more, if I've applied rather poorly, that this is all tentative. The entire thing may not even go through. What I've discussed here is to give support for the novel in the event that this gamble pays off. I apologize for any pretentiousness, intentional or otherwise, on my part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: