Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Taitei no Ken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Taitei no Ken Reply with quote

Say, are you in the mood for a movie with Oda Nobunaga? Sanada Yukimura and his legendary ninja Sasuke? The Maeda clan of Kaga? The Shimabara Rebellion and Amakusa Shiro? Yasuke? The last princess of the Toyotomi? Ninja made out of wasps? Dogfights in outer space and aliens? Demons and cheap CGI? A smelly peasant NOT named Musashi with a sword bigger than he is? Well then, listen up because Taitei no Ken (The Sword Of Alexander) is for you! This 2007 classic from Toei mixes action, comedy, and high drama of the type only Toei can pull off. Set in the Edo period shortly after the Shimabara Rebellion, it follows the antics of odoriferous backwoods swordsman Yorozu Genkuro (Abe Hiroshi) as he attempts to unite the three relics made of the metal orichalcum-the sword of Alexander the Great (which he already has), the Jew's Cross (which Amakusa Shiro had and is now held by the Tokugawa), and Skanda's Vajra (location unknown). Along the way he runs into Princess Mai, last of the Toyotomi, who has been possessed by a crash landin' alien and now suffers from multiple personality disorder which manifests itself by havin' her spit out rocks at skull-crackin' velocities. But wouldn't ya just know it-an evil alien has also crash landed and eventually possesses the leader of a band of Tsuchigumo (you know, the creepy original people of Japan that Nagaeyari never seems to mention on the SA Podcast) ninjer who are also lookin' for the artifacts. Of course, the two groups are destined to clash but not before there's plenty of fightin', blood, lopped off limbs, lowbrow comedy, and zero budget CG-all the things a classic movie is made of. The high level of thought that went into the meticulously crafted screenplay can be seen in character names like Kuromushi (for the ninja made out of bugs) or Himeyasha (another demon ninjer). Or maybe not. But it sure is fun ta watch. The over the top narration routinely breaks the fourth wall. A man changes his race sometime between flashbacks of his youth and adulthood. Amakusa spends the whole movie lookin' fer the relics, suddenly decides he/she isn't the chosen one after all, and casually exits the film. And the Brickster's sudden new object of infatuation, Kuroki Meisa, is smokin' hot as Amakusa Shiro. What's that, you say? Shiro was a boy? Well, he's a boy good lookin' enough to look like a woman who's played by a woman takin' the part of a man. So there. She's gorgeous and well worth the price of admission even if she does keep all her clothes on (which Himeyasha doesn't, but cheats by coverin' up the naughty bits with her hair).

Now, if yer one'a those sweater vest wearin' intallecktuals, this may not be up yer alley, so get the hell out. Everyone else who appreciates the subtle art of cheese (like yers truly and Wicked Lemon) will not only be enthralled and amazed but like the Brickster will no doubt camp out on the Studio's doorstep DEMANDIN' a sequel. The only difference is that they'll be payin' me to do it but not you.

SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's been a long while since I watched this movie, but I recall enjoying it quite a bit. I need to dust off my copy sometime in the near future and watch it again.
Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, Bug! Good to see ya drop by again. Any other obscure efforts like this one that you can point the Brickster towards? I ain't picky-monsters, spaceships, samurai, sexy kunoichi, it's all good.

SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you seen Zipang (Jipangu)? It's a crazy little movie about an alternate version of Japan. The movie surrounds our main hero named Jigoku who wields 9 swords, all of varying oddity and strange qualities. He seeks to enter the fabled land of gold along with his acting troupe of crazy cast members including a midget. All the while being chased by a female bounty hunter and a multitude of ninjas. The first 15 mins alone is worth tracking it down. It's been years since I've seen it, but it wacky as heck and fairly entertaining if you're looking for something that does not take itself seriously at all. If I remember right, someone uses a rocket launcher in the film. It's directed by Kaizo Hayashi

Here's a mashup someone did with footage from the film and a song called Gunsmoke. There are no major spoiler in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_uPZJIBra4
Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haven't seen it, but I'm out lookin' fer it now. Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: