Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Aoi Tokugawa Sandai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prodgodq
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Aoi Tokugawa Sandai Reply with quote
So I finally broke down and scraped some money together to get the series on DVD. So far it's been great. I'm primarily interested in the Sengoku period as an amateur historian, and the recommendations from people here to choose this series over the "sekigahara" movie were spot on.
I did have one question though, for those who can speak and read Japanese or who are familiar with early education in Japan: Have there been revisions to the standard teachings about the Tokugawa Shogunate? The narrator in the series keeps making the point that Mitsunari was not the "traitor", so I'm assuming that the standard teaching was that Ieyasu was the benevolent founder and that Mitsunari was the "bad guy".
This brought to mind my history classes in grade school here in the U.S., where a similar attitude prevailed in regard to "manifest destiny". We were taught that Native Americans cooperated with the colonization of North America by Europe, and that it was part our "manifest destiny" to conquer the continent.
Now, my daughter's history classes are significantly different. They spend much more time on the negative aspects of the subjugation of the continent's original inhabitants.
So I was wondering if a similar change has happened in Japan with regard to Ieyasu and the sengoku period?
Thanks in advance for your help!
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: AOI TOKUGAWA SANDAI Reply with quote
Not really answering your question but a lot of what you see depends on the writers of Taiga Dramas and who the lead character is for example ..

Good Ieyasu

AOI

TOSHIIE AND MATSU

KOMYO GA TSUJI

GOU

Bad Ieyasu

MUSASHI

TENCHIJIN .

I can only speak for historians in English Language that i have read ,some are pro ,some middle others anti .Not very helpful i know but one of our more accomplished historians can probably give you a better answer .
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
To take it a bit farther back, in Taiga Drama

1978 Golden Days (Ôgon no hibi)--good Mitsunari
1981 Onna Taikôki--bad Mitsunari
1983 Tokugawa Ieyasu--a not-as-unsympathetic-as-one-would-expect Mitsunari

1981 Sekigahara (3-day New Year TV drama based on Shiba Ryotaro's novel) Mitsunari, a man driven only by loyalty to the Toyotomi, and Ieyasu, a scheming old man.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: AOI TOKUGAWA SANDAI Reply with quote
AOI is pretty balanced it does show why Ieyasu did what he did .Its like Wars Of The Roses with Richard III people tend to forget the Woodville family tried to usurp his position ,kill him twice ,stole the treasury and laid siege to the Tower Of London .With Ieyasu Yodo never accepted him ,snubbed Hidetata ,treated the Tokugawa as vassals ,gathered Ronin so he had to eliminate them .

Lady Kasuga (1989) similar depiction

Hideyoshi (1996) Bad Mitsunari .

Most Hideyoshi dramas depict the "local boy makes good " few depict the cruel despot and the folly of the Imjin War .Though Komyo Ga Tsugi sticks it to him .
prodgodq
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've read most of the english language material covering Sekigahara and the Tokugawa, and AOI seems to be pretty faithful to the basics. So far, the series has taken a balanced view. Their treatment of Ieyasu seems to be that he was a complex person, showing a great deal of love and affection for his family, but completely ruthless and devious when it came to his own interests and the interests of his family. The only thing that I have noticed is that the writers exaggerated a couple of his personality traits that have been mentioned in the available history, specifically his propensity to chew his nails when he was nervous. In the series he's doing it pretty much all the time, with the added touch of making his vassals hold a piece of paper for him to spit the fingernail into. Most english accounts describe him as being pretty unemotional, but I can understand the writers moving away from that since it wouldn't make for a particularly interesting show. For my first Taiga drama, I'm loving it!
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: AOI TOKUGAWA SANDAI Reply with quote
Masahiko Tsugawa play's Ieyasu and he is also the Grandson of the great director Shozo Makino .and related to Masahiro Makino .

He made his debut in the youth film Crazed Fruit and was a favorite of the late director Juzo Itami appearing in all his films .

He has actually played Ieyasu 5 times .

(1)Masamune The One Eyed Dragon Taiga Drama (1987)

(2)Three Generations Of The Yagyu Sword (NTV 1991 )

(3)Sanada Yukimura (NTV 1998)

(4)AOI NHK 2000

(5)Sengoku Jietai Sekigahara (NTV 2005) .

He has also played Tokugawa Tsunayoshi twice , Kira 4 times ,Oishi twice ,as well as Hideyoshi .
Still it is as Ieyasu he is remembered .
Recently he has turned to directing making his debut with Jirocho No Shimizu in 2008 starring Kiichi Nakai and Koichi Sato .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: