Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Meiji Chushingura, 12 Loyal Samurai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Meiji Chushingura, 12 Loyal Samurai Reply with quote
In August 1869, Kaga Honda clan head Honda Masachika was assassinated by opposing group in Kaga han.
2 years later, 12 of His retainers succeeded vendetta and ended their lives by Seppuku in 1872.
They were buried near Masachika's grave.
It was the last organized vendetta by Samurai.
http://www.ken6net.com/page/page3/stop/true#top

The Meiji unification through the lens of Ishikawa prefecture
James C. Baxter
Google book
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Chushingura Reply with quote
Just picked the book up .

Though there is not much detail on the vendetta it is still interesting ,some ex samurai killed Honda Masachika in protest at his reforms (we never learn how ) than two associates of the assassins are not only pardoned but one is given a post in the new government causing umbrage to the Honda retainers .
Fifteen swear an oath to avenge their master though only twelve participate in the actual vendetta ,after completion (again we never learn how the vendetta was carried out )the assassins turn them selves in and are allowed to die by seppuku .
mktanaka
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Chushingura Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
Just picked the book up .

Though there is not much detail on the vendetta it is still interesting ,some ex samurai killed Honda Masachika in protest at his reforms (we never learn how ) than two associates of the assassins are not only pardoned but one is given a post in the new government causing umbrage to the Honda retainers .
Fifteen swear an oath to avenge their master though only twelve participate in the actual vendetta ,after completion (again we never learn how the vendetta was carried out )the assassins turn them selves in and are allowed to die by seppuku .

WL, interesting.. and if Honda Masachika is direct decendent of Honda Tadakatsu, then even I may be related to him as well. but yes, even if a story can be a bit embellished as time passes, a Meiji version of Chushingura......

My grandfather, born in late 1800's, came to the USA to study after his service in the Imperial Army is a direct decendent of Honda Tadakatsu.. My grandfather's somewhat infamous claim is he was labeled the Leader of the West Coast Spy ring before Pearl Harbor occured..in part due to fact he was founder and president of an Imperial Military Veteran's associated based in SoCal that was formed in the 1930's.... and FBI was monitoring his activities months before Pearl Harbor.. and how does my mother feel about this? "I don't think so".
I simplified my mother's response to topic, but in a nutshell, felt the press/FBI used it as a front to what really happened.. My mother is much more proud her father was the 1st Japanese ever to receive his medical doctorate from an American university and had his family practice in Little Tokyo.
(he was already a MD while serving in the Imperial Army)

anyhow, will have to get the book as well..

link to my grandfather's story on his "suicide" or what I would say "death":

http://ladailymirror.com/2011/12/19/japanese-spy-ring-smashed-fbi-says/

Last edited by mktanaka on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow. That's more than interesting, to say the least!

Wonderful site that is, giving the flavor of the times . . .

Owarikenshi
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Meiji Chushingura 12 Samurai Reply with quote
It very interesting and gives you a lot to think about .
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow that is very interesting.
Was your grandfather Japan-Russia war veteran?
One of articles in the link said he held the battle of sea of Japan anniversary celebration.

If you have chance to visit Japan, please go to Okazaki city, people love Honda clan.
Okazaki city is reconstructing Honda Tadajiro mansion.
They plan to open in July.
http://www.city.okazaki.aichi.jp/menu4385.html
mktanaka
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
Wow that is very interesting.
Was your grandfather Japan-Russia war veteran?
One of articles in the link said he held the battle of sea of Japan anniversary celebration.

If you have chance to visit Japan, please go to Okazaki city, people love Honda clan.
Okazaki city is reconstructing Honda Tadajiro mansion.
They plan to open in July.
http://www.city.okazaki.aichi.jp/menu4385.html

Shikisoku

My grandfather was too young to serve in the Japan-Russian War. But was the founder/President of an Imperial Military Veterans group founded in So.California that made him a suspect of having strong ties to Japan.

Did he love his country and still had ties with Japan after he immigrated to the USA???
yes... but what is wrong with that?

The FBI as well as major USA papers such as the NY Times, and LA Times stated it was a front and really was a network spy ring led by my grandfather. but
spinning a story to support one's position, that is how it is. After Pearl Harbor, there was a high probability the Japanese Imperial Military would try to take Hawaii and take this Pacific base from the USA.. and if so, have a direct shot for strikes into the West coast..(LA, SF, Seattle)..
so, concern of a potential spy network was already in place was a valid concern. (battle of Midway threw Japan's master plan off course)

In the subsequent months, 110,000 Japanese and/or Japanese Americans were rounded up from the entire West Coast of the USA and sent to Internment Campus in part due to the concerns of spy networks and/or potential sabatage to harbors/shipping ports, etc...

Where is the evidence that this was happening or was about to happen?? Even my grandfather's FBI report which was made public in subsequent years, does not show any evidence his or the activities of the Imperial Veteran's group had any such dealings.

Many Nisei's joined the USA military in part to help prove their loyalty to their country.. (such as my Uncle on my mother's side who could have easily put his father death card on the table and not enlist, but he did not blink and served his country with pride)

The USA government in collaboration with the media helped fuel the Yellow Peril threat... but again, in times of war, you do what you have to do to gather the country around the "cause".. This is not isolated to the USA, but is common practice that worked by many countries thru history..

as far as Okazaki and many Honda ties there, yes, if I ever go to Japan to visit, along with Tokyo and Kyoto, I would visit Okazaki as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: