Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Any good maps of Japanese provinces showing kōri 郡

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Any good maps of Japanese provinces showing kōri 郡 Reply with quote
Hi,
Is anyone aware of good source for maps with historical provinces of Japan, showing kōri 郡 aka districts inside the provinces?
I have stumbled upon some beautiful looking maps at the digital archives of Japan, but the maps are old and translating the kanji of each kōri seems next to impossible. It would be great if anyone could help me with this.

thanks! You rule
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The SA wiki http://wiki.samurai-archives.com has the kôri listed in the articles for many of the provinces, both in kanji and romanji. You may be able to match those to your map.
What was this digital archive? It might be useful for the Map Links article on the wiki.
Kagemusha
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is the link to the maps:

http://www.digital.archives.go.jp/gallery/view/category/categoryArchivesEn/0200000000/default

They are beautiful hand drawn work´s of art and antique. Also the viewing tool is great as you can go into very high resolutions, while loading will take some time.

Like i said unfortunately my eye is not well versed enough to tell apart from the hand drawn kanji, which kôri is which.
Sakura
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I made this map when I was helping design the map for the Paradox game Sengoku (warning, it's a big file).

It's based on a map I found of the original Ritsuryo kori boundaries. I updated the boundaries where I found information stating that they had changed and also added northern Tohoku.

I'm sure there are some errors and the maps you've linked to are from after the early Tokugawa kori revisions, but I hope the files will be of some use to you.
Kagemusha
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Absolutely brilliant work Sakura! The kind of map you have made can offer so much more clear understanding concerning more local affairs compared to simple map of provinces.
It must have been quite the undertaking to create map with this level of detail. Thank you for this work and sharing it with us! You rule
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is a very good map. Thank you.
Sakura
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you.

Yeah, a lot of clan histories and the like make reference to kori so having a good map can be very helpful. It's a little surprising how difficult some of this information can be to find. I have a few Sengoku atlases, but the only one to include any information on the kori is Rekishi Gunzo's Sengoku Chizucho, and that only lists their names on the map without any borders (also, it has a number of what I believe to be mistakes).

I'd really like to work on making a detailed map of Sengoku Japan, but I'm not sure where I'd even start.
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Where did you get the borders for the districts then?

By the way, it was interesting to see the names. Many of them are now city or town names.
Kagemusha
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For example the maps i showed in third post have the kori borders. Am i wrong, but while there were some changes in kori between Muromachi and Tokugawa periods. The kori remained pretty much the same? I can spot some differences in numbers of Kori between the map Sakura made and the ones from digital archives of Japan, still most are the same.
Sakura
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Basically, I found the 9th-10th century borders in the 1956 Nihon Rekishi Chizucho and compared them to the Edo period ones in the 1837 Kokugun Zenzu. When they differed I tried to figure out what was correct for the 16th century by doing internet searches, checking prefectural histories, etc. But as Kagemusha suggested, 90% or so of the kori hadn't changed so I could just use the Nihon Rekishi Chizu's borders for them. For other parts which weren't included on that map, like northern Tohoku, I tried to work backwards from the Meiji era borders.

But there are still some parts that need work. Azai-gun in Omi, for example. The Ritsuryo borders don't have it split into two parts to the west and south of Ika-gun. But the Genroku Kuni Ezu linked above does, so there's a decent chance the split had already occurred by the Sengoku period. I haven't been able to find anything on-line about the split, but hopefully one of the geographical dictionaries at school can help.
Claycat
Beggar
Beggar
Member for 3 years

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi folks,

i'm looking for this Map of Japan (from the Sengoku game) with Kori made by Sakura.
Maybe somebody can share it?

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: