Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Jingasa - old ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldendragon
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Jingasa - old ? Reply with quote
Hello to you all.
I just bought on line two jingasa war hats (I hope that's what they are).
Can anybody help me on giving some details, assumptions, comments, idea's on these two hats ? I assume these are Ichimonji gasa ?
A.
http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w72391825
bought it for 133 USD (good price ?)
I think the mon is Akechi ?
Was this worn by samurai (lords or generals) or not you think ? Any special extraordinary features ?
How old (what period) was it made you think ?

B.
http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w72170032
bought it for 12 USD
Cannot find the mon immediately and looks a bit like the mon of
Naoe ? anyone any idea ?
Was this worn by samurai (lords or generals) or not you think ? Any special extraordinary features ?
How old (what period) was it made you think ?

All your info and help is welcome.
Many thanks
Danny
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Danny,

A. Akechi Mitsuhide, Yamagata Masakage and Takada Noriyori come to mind who used the kikyo mon. All three died on the battlefield, their heraldry disappeared with the destruction of their troops.

But I notice that the kikyo is on top of another mon lacquered over, a Matsukawa-bishi mon. Both the kikyo and the matsukawa-bishi mon were used by different branches of the Takeda.

I don't know if this is a case of the previous owner's mon being 'erased', getting lacquered over. BUT there are examples of mon INSIDE a matsukawa-bishi. Niwa Nagahide's heraldry come to mind.

B. Still looking. It does look like Naoe.

Jingasa were mostly worn by lowly footsoldiers during the Sengoku Period. By the Edo period worn by samurai too. The 'flattened' jingasa mostly worn away from the battlefield, but have come across photo of this type of jingasa with a complete set of armour.

Sorry, I can't be of more help.
goldendragon
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Kiyomasa Reply with quote
Hi Evalerio,

Many thanks for all the info.

One other question. being busy with making a replica of Katou Kiyomasa's kabuto and checking out paintings, I have noticed on some paintings that painters use the flower-like kamon (like the Akechi-mon) on coat, clothing and even banner of Kiyomasa ?? How come ? normally the crest/mon of Kiyomasa is golden circle ?
check these two examples :
http://www.printsofjapan.com/yoshiiku_warrior_tiger.htm
If you would know more about this.... I would be glad to hear more on it.

Many thanks again
Danny
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many individuals had more than one mon, and the kikyo is mentioned as one of Kiyomasa's.

The use of the lesser-known kikyo for Kiyomasa in Edo period illustrations, probably to 'hide' Kiyomasa's identity to avoid association with Hideyoshi. The practice seemed to have continued into the Meiji Period.

If you are making historical reproduction of Kiyomasa's kabuto, use the more famous 'doughnut' mon. This is also seen in Kiyomasa's ashigaru armour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: