Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Provincial history records Of Japan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1991sudarshan
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Provincial history records Of Japan Reply with quote
Where can I find the historical records maintained by each of the ancient and the medieval provinces in Japan?
What made me to get interested in provincial history book is the origin of Tokugawa clan. Minamoto no Yoshishige took the name Nitta and moved to the Tokugawa in kozuke province ,but there is no mention about the Minamoto clan in the records of the province and Matsudira clan were the descendants of Nitta Yoshisue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokugawa_clan
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Provincial history records Of Japan Reply with quote
1991sudarshan wrote:
Where can I find the historical records maintained by each of the ancient and the medieval provinces in Japan?

Try a university library. But (obviously) they are all in Japanese. All of the prefectures put out extensive histories in the late 19th/early 20th century, some are multiple volumes.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
1991sudarshan
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Provincial history records Of Japan Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
1991sudarshan wrote:

Try a university library. But (obviously) they are all in Japanese. All of the prefectures put out extensive histories in the late 19th/early 20th century, some are multiple volumes.

I want the specific names of the provincial records or at least the Japanese word for "provincial records". The Google translate is inaccurate. Anyways Thank you! Very Happy
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Provincial history records Of Japan Reply with quote
1991sudarshan wrote:
kitsuno wrote:
1991sudarshan wrote:

I want the specific names of the provincial records or at least the Japanese word for "provincial records". The Google translate is inaccurate. Anyways Thank you! Very Happy

I'm not quite sure you understand what you're asking. They aren't on like a searchable database or anything, nor was there any sort of standardized "records" you could go look at, as if it was a modern political or administrative office.

Try looking for 風土記 (fudoki, with a long uu sound). These are the old provincial histories commissioned in the Heian period, and some were updated in the Edo period. That's probably the best place to start. If you're looking for real records, like lists of landholding or tax records, those are all over the place, and are going to require going to specific libraries in Japan to get access to them. They don't just let anyone walk in and look at them.
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
And they all have different titles and formats, I'm sure.

Many scholars focus on a single province (or two or three), extrapolating the case for broader relevancies. If you do this, it might help narrow down your search considerably. Once you know whether you're looking for materials about Satsuma, or Tosa, or Izu, then you can start honing in on which documents are specifically relevant for the case of that particular province, and which libraries or archives might have relevant holdings.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: