Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Questions about and surrounding Hagakure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Questions about and surrounding Hagakure Reply with quote
Yes surprise, surprise me again! I just can't seem to help myself with all this information I'm finding out through this site and other mediums.

So first of all from a quick look at the synopsis of Hagakure on wiki it tells us that Tsuramoto Tashiro compiled Yamamoto Tsunetomo's works in the years 1709 to 1716 but wasn't published until 'many years afterwards'. A further look at Tsuramoto Tashiro again on wiki however says these manuscripts were kept secretively in the possession of the Nabeshima clan of the Saga domain for almost two centuries until it being made public in the Meiji period, of course this being wiki everything should be taken with a large pinch of salt. I gather the Hagakure or bushido code is one of the biggest misconceptions that there has been this universal code throughout Japanese History referring to the bushi class.

My question though is did the Tokugawa bakufu at any point during it's reign try to implement stronger tenets on the lord vassal system/relationship to gain tighter control over the clans by implementing national philosophical and religious treaties/manuscripts/laws such as when Neo-Confucianism was introduced to the country? Making samurai of the Edo period all largely adhere to and recognise a universal code?

Or was there many interpretations and ideologies regarding warrior ethos like that of the house codes during the Sengoku era?

Kind regards,

harry
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No one??

I'm really interested in the development of the Bushi philosophy in pre modern Japanese History with it's impacts on society and laws but also the negative aspects that accompanied it.

So any answers to the original post and suggested reads would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards!
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neo-Confucianism was the preferred philosophy of the Tokugawa Shogunate, but as far as being codified into law-not really. There were Tsunayoshi's 'Laws of Compassion' and Yoshimune's entreaties for frugality and martial training, but for the most part, trying to codify an approach to life doesn't work out very well. The laws requiring alternate attendance of daimyo in Edo, tying samurai to their fiefs and putting them in the castle city, and making it impossible for a samurai to change lords under the majority of circumstances nicely took care of the whole 'loyalty' thing indirectly without having to rely on philosophy. If you left your lord and couldn't catch on with another, who would be disloyal?
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do a search on the forums for "bushido" or "Hagakure", and you'll find plenty of discussion about it.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Karl Friday has a great article about the myth of bushido, I recommend finding it.
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
Neo-Confucianism was the preferred philosophy of the Tokugawa Shogunate, but as far as being codified into law-not really. There were Tsunayoshi's 'Laws of Compassion' and Yoshimune's entreaties for frugality and martial training, but for the most part, trying to codify an approach to life doesn't work out very well. The laws requiring alternate attendance of daimyo in Edo, tying samurai to their fiefs and putting them in the castle city, and making it impossible for a samurai to change lords under the majority of circumstances nicely took care of the whole 'loyalty' thing indirectly without having to rely on philosophy. If you left your lord and couldn't catch on with another, who would be disloyal?

This is great thanks! I will do some searching to find out more on these particular two.

lordameth wrote:
Do a search on the forums for "bushido" or "Hagakure", and you'll find plenty of discussion about it.

apologises I didn't realise there was a search function should of looked harder really, save me posting to many threads in the future Smile

ltdomer98 wrote:
Karl Friday has a great article about the myth of bushido, I recommend finding it.

The Bushido or Bull? found it, very insightful and I also found a article related to the same thing on koryu.com where Karl also lists some other works by people such as Hurst, Thomas Conlan, and Paul Varley as well as Eiko Ikegami on the subject so lots to get stuck into!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: