Register :: Log in :: Profile   

English titles for these films?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: English titles for these films? Reply with quote
I came across these more recent films and was wondering if anybody had seen them and if there were any subbed versions available on the market.

The first one and I think is called the Last Ronin? I enjoy watching Kôji Yakusho so looking out for this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDw6QpmhlY

Next one I have no idea as to the title and only have the link only that I'm guessing it's based on the Sakuradamon incident?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRc5ZDO6zng&feature=related

What I gather of this last one is that it's set during the Boshin War and the later Satsuma Rebellion. Not to hot on this one from what I have seen of the trailer, the acting seems over the top and the dude with the red hair bugs me but I thought I'd inquire ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7-dr72GLB8&feature=relmfu
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first one is 'Saigo no Chushingura' (The Last Chushingura), yet another film based on the 47 Ronin puppet/kabuki play. I haven't seen it but I believe it explores the life of the 47th Ronin, Terasaka Kichiemon Nobuyuki, after he was the only Ronin not executed by the Bakufu after the Raid (well, one of the Ronin actually did commit Seppuku, but the others were beheaded in mock seppuku ceremonies). Terasaka was told to leave by the other Ronin shortly before the raid as they considered him of too low status to be part of their little feudal drive-by.

The second one is 'Sakuradamon-Gai no Hen' (Sakuradamon Incident), and obviously you're right about it being based on the historical incident. Kitsuno can tell you more about it-I think he has a review of it somewhere.

The last one is 'Hanjiro', based on Nakamura Hanjiro (better known as Kirino Toshiaki), a swordmaster and senior commander of Satsuma forces. He was a General in the Imperial Army early in the Meiji period, but joined Saigo Takamori's failed rebellion in 1877.

All three are available with subs on the grey market-no legal release of any of them in the US.

Last edited by Tatsunoshi on Wed May 30, 2012 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great thanks Tatsunoshi!

Have you seen Hanjiro? I wasn't impressed by the trailer but still going to watch it if I ever get my hands on a copy.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: English titles for these films? Reply with quote
HarryJJ wrote:

Next one I have no idea as to the title and only have the link only that I'm guessing it's based on the Sakuradamon incident?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRc5ZDO6zng&feature=related

http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=5150

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HarryJJ wrote:
Have you seen Hanjiro? I wasn't impressed by the trailer but still going to watch it if I ever get my hands on a copy.

I watched it (several times) as an in-flight movie. It is 'high drama' but I like a bit of over-enthusiastic acting as opposed to the minimalism you see in a lot of Japanese films. I found it very enjoyable, but as with most films based on historical figures, your enjoyment would likely be in direct proportion to your interest in the subject matter and the degree of knowledge you possess on it. It worked out well for me since I was reading Beasley's "The Meiji Restoration" at the time (thanks to G Just Kidding ).
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Eng Titles Reply with quote
The English title for Sakurada Mongai No Hen is just Sakurada Gate Incident .

Warners are sitting on Last Ronin for a tie in with the upcoming Keanu epic and they also have Rouroni Kenshin though i just cannot get excited about this one .

Tats i know Sakurada can be watched online with subs and i have a DVD copy without subs and found it highly enjoyable none the less ,anyway can you tell me which grey mkt vendor has Hanjiro ?.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: