Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Hayato and Kumaso?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Hayato and Kumaso? Reply with quote
Thanks to ltdomer98's recommendation over in another thread, I recently read Bruce Batten's book about early Hakata (or rather, early pre-Hakata; in the sense that the medieval town didn't exist for most fo the period covered by this book); and one topic that popped up, if only in passing, was a reference to the Hayato in southern Kyushu.

I was wondering; are there any good English-language resources which look into the Hayato, or the Kumaso (the other indigenous group of note in southern Kyushu) for that matter?

And on a more general note, is there much of a body of work in Japan concerning the Hayato and Kumaso? Are there any noted archaeological digs; wht kind of details exist covering their appearance, language, cultural traits (inasmuch as the Yamato court may have recorded them) and whatnot; how they reacted to the imperial expansion southwards; are there any DNA traces in the modern Kyushu population; and so forth.

If it turned out they are detailed in part of the Andrew Cobbing book I was asking about elsewhere, that would be a further reason to look forward to it.

Actually, this is a pure supposition on my part, but I kind of feel that the fate of the Hayato and Kumaso seems to have echoes with what happened to the Ainu in later centuries; in that the real efforts to subjugate/assimilate them seemed to come around in the wake of efforts by the imperial court to strengthen their respective islands against potential foreign influence.

Yamato control over northern Kyushu only really bedded down once Dazaifu was built; itself a reaction to reversals in the Korean peninsula, ones which would have encouraged a more general effort to expand their holdings on the island.

This seems not too removed from how the Wajinchi on southern Ezo was superseded by the large-scale colonisation of Hokkaido, once the Meiji state saw a need to establish a more secure foothold there. (In contrast, there don't seem to be overt external factors affecting the northern march against the Emishi; since northern Honshu was far more isolated from the Asian mainland at the time.)

Could the final push southwards have been "helped along" by the changing security conditions in and around Hakata Bay; or would the expansion into Hayato and Kumaso territories have proceeded along much the same timeline regardless?
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My first recommendation is to look through the Nihon Shoki, the Shoku Nihongi, etc. and look for references to both groups. I'm not sure if there are any really good works on them in part because of the difficulty in pinning down what the terms actually referred to, and whether it changed over time.

That said, there are a lot of good archaeology books out there that cover the Jomon to Kofun periods which might be helpful to understand the culture(s) of Japan at those times, and that might be where I'd focus the majority of my research if I were you.

-Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: