Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Sir Obiya in Sword of Desperation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Sir Obiya in Sword of Desperation Reply with quote
So I have just finished watching Sword of Desperation and I really enjoyed it, what a build up to a climatic end!

SPOLIERS FROM HERE ONWARDS!

But one thing bothers me what did Sir Obiya hope to achieve by storming into his step brothers (and presumably lords) house and offing him?

What relation or position did he have within the clan? Was he even from the same clan? I got the impression he wasn't due to the conversation Kanemi Sanzaemon had with that young samurai he was setting up with his niece.

Just wondering what outcome Sir Obiya thought was possible without having to take his own life afterwards.

Of course this being a film one can push logic and historical authenticy aside but I was just wondering what others more learned then myself could offer on musings or explanations.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's only hinted at in the movie (with more info likely given out in the original novel), but I take it that Obiya was the leader of a cadet branch of the family with a modest stipend who probably had overseer duty over some facet of governance (one would presume something like 'public works', such as that was)-but he just as easily could have had no official position at all. The latter almost seems likelier as IIRC he had no retinue of his own.

I don't believe he intended to survive his assault on his half-brother. Rather, Obiya had just had enough of the way Ukyou was running Unasaka and making the people suffer. While it's possible that he could have hoped to take over the clan leadership, the fact that he seemed to be operating alone and the entire clan's leadership structure seemed to support Ukyou points to that not being the case. It might be if he did survive the attack and killed Ukyou, the retainers might throw in with him and help cover things up to retain their positions (since this type of attack would likely get the clan banned if the Shogunate got wind of it). But it just seemed that, in the best chanbara tradition, he was spending his life to right a heinous wrong Wink .
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
O noo not the dreaded cadet branch! My little brain does get slightly confused sometimes when factoring in the hierarchy of family relations.

Sir Obiya did have a fellow following him around but I gathered he was a chūgen, although saying that the young samurai who was to court Kanemi Sanzaemon niece did say that what he had heard concerning Sir Obiya was from a retainer close to Obiya.

Also when Kanemi asked the young samurai where he heard this he replied from my clan instead of saying from my family which is why I wondered.

Ah the noble virtuous samurai how could I have overlooked that one Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: