Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Onmyōdō

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Onmyōdō Reply with quote
I'm struggling to find any substantial information on Onmyōdō in English other than that presented on Wiki. Is there anything out there that I might be able to get my hands on?

I was also wondering if there were many cults in Japanese History?
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There isn't as much as I would like. Things to look for might be "Abe Seimei". I would also recommend looking into Chinese philosophy, particularly Taoist philosophy of the Tang dynasty and earlier. There are some good works in French, e.g. Kata-imi et Katatagae. You may also want to peruse JStor, if you have access.

I'm not sure that I'm connecting this, fully, with your second question about cults. There were definitely small religious sects that may be considered "cults", some moreso than others (adherents of the Tachikawa skull ritual comes rather directly to mind). Some consider the worship of fox spirits to be a "cult" in many ways. There are the ikko ikki; and some branches of Buddhism may have originally been seen as cults that grew into more organized religions.

-Josh
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry I was under the impression that Onmyōdō was a cult practice a sort of ritual magic.

Either way you answered my second question fine, I was just wondering how many strange or obscene beliefs/practices coexisted in the religions of Japan and whether some of them were unlawful.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Herbert Ooms's "Imperial Politics and Symbolics in Ancient Japan" has some decent information on Onmyodo scattered throughout it, although he generally refers to it in its capacity as the 'Yin-Yang Bureau' of the Imperial government. Function, organization, directors, divination, etc-he touches on all of this and more.

While I'm not in the habit of suggesting fiction as a source, for RPG purposes you might want to consider getting ahold of the 'Onmyoji' TV series aired in Japan. Due to budget constraints it's much more 'realistic' (although still fanciful) than the two 'Onmyoji' movies it was based on.

As far as cults, don't forget Christianity after it was outlawed. Separated from the mother church, the directions some of the Kakure Kirishitan (hidden Christitans) took veered into a sort of 'ancestor cult'. Many of these refused to rejoin the Catholic Church during the Meiji period and were known as 'Hanare Kirishitan'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: