Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Exterior of the swordsmith`s workshop / Kamakura

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maestral
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Exterior of the swordsmith`s workshop / Kamakura Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

I`m new here but with hope that I would complete my research about the exterior look of the medieval swordsmith`s workshop.

I`m an 2D animator and I`m preparing a short (~7 minutes) animation which would depict a mythical encounter of Masamune and Muramasa. I have decided to place it in Kamakura province and period and I have already succeeded to find enough references about the main characters, heraldry, province and Kamakura period along with the forging procedures but I was unable to find much (almost nothing) about the exterior look of the workshop.

This short animation would be without dialogs, where action is covered only with the music and a few sound effects. It would be also visually stylized but just as much to be viewed as a set of aquarells with moving portions of images.

Since it would be stylized, there is a room for improvisation but I prefer to make improvisations based on some references. Just to mention, I`m aware that workshops were in fact small complexes, but it just opens more space for my different and possibly inaccurate interpretations. That is a main reason to ask here for your suggestions, links or if possible some imagery which would help me to finally learn more about the Japanese architecture of that time or with some more luck, about the appearance of the workshop it self.
Jaak
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What are Japanese smithies structurally made of? Given that smithing is a source of fire danger?

Storehouses (kura) which are intended for keeping valuables against fire and not living were commonly built of clay and plaster, over wood frame. Are smithies similar?
Chushingura
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
See in the ukiyo e
Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: