Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Saya shi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furiku-sho
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Saya shi Reply with quote
I Practice Iaijutsu alot and with the many nukitsuke and noto that I do daily, my saya is wearing out. I would like to make a new saya for my iaito. Is anybody out there who has experience in this and would have some pointers?

I am mostly concerned about fit. It has been said to me that the saya grips the habaki by the mune machi and the ha machi surfaces.

How about on the blade itself. It would be my guess that the saya has pressure point at the shinogi and the yokote.

Any thoughts...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, what I know about making saya: Make sure that both sides line up well, and ensure that the join is not in the middle, where the blade will be, to avoid the problem of the blade accidentally separating the saya (if the blade hits, it is better to hit wood than to hit seam). I imagine you know most of the rest; the kurigata, iirc, is cut to slide into place and lock, in most cases (it is not part of the bare saya). The shape of the inside of the saya is probably one of the trickier parts, though I've not yet tried it myself. You need to make sure that the sword blade will slide in, gouging neither the top nor bottom. I am honestly not sure where the sword should touch in the saya so as not to jostle around.

All that said, if it is just a tight fit you are looking for and the saya is nothing too special, it may be easier to shim the koiguchi rather than building a new saya. You can use very thin slivers of wood and glue them into the saya on either side at the mouth to help overcome the wood lost to friction. If you have gouges, etc., you may need a more custom built splinter. For deep gouges, you might want to find an epoxy or wood filler, first, before applying the wood shavings.

-Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: