Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Nara period conflicts with Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Algren-san
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Nara period conflicts with Korea Reply with quote
I just bought Ritta Nakanishi's book "The History of Japanese Armor volume 1" and something has caught my attention. On several occasions the book mentions Japanese soldiers being sent to the korean peninsula during the Nara period and was wondering if anyone could elaborate on any of this. I have heard of the wars in the centuries prior but I was under the impression that warfare between korea and japan stopped for the most part after Baekche was defeated aside from pirate raids (well at least until Hideyoshi anyway).
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hm. That was certainly my impression as well.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine too.
Reischaur says (East Asia: The Great Tradition, p. 485) that in the Nara period the Japanese took over the Chinese system of drafting peasants for the army, but except for some special defense areas on the Kyushu coast and along the border with the Ainu, they did not need the draft armies, so they soon degenerated into a sort of labor corps. That would suggest they were not sending armies to fight in Korea on any scale.

This changes the subject slightly, but I read that in the Nara period and early Heian, especially when they were fighting the Emeshi, there were lacquer factories in places like Taga Castle in Miyagi-ken and Misawa and Akita. "Lacquer was a necessity for making weapons." I would never have guessed that. This is obviously an elementary question, but how would lacquer be used?
Algren-san
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I'm thinking that maybe the English and Japanese texts are different in book I have. I can't seem to find a reference to Korea in the Japanese text though my Japanese skills are rather poor and they may be using an older form of Korea (such as Shinra/ silla in kanji). There's also a picture of Sakanoue no Tamuramaro in the book depicting him with a bright red beard so there's that. Smile

As for the lacquer issue I'm not sure. That would be interesting to learn. Lacquer is an important component of armour and some accessories like scabbards but I'm not sure about its use in actual weapons.
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lacquer was essential in hardening and securing organic materials and metals and can be seen in weapons and wooden armor since the yayoi period. It also served a decorative purpose, as well.
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
On several occasions the book mentions Japanese soldiers being sent to the korean peninsula during the Nara period and was wondering if anyone could elaborate on any of this.

Japan Shila relation in Nara period.

Samuguk Sagi said 300 Japanese ships attacked east coast of Shila in 731.
But no such a record in Japanese side.

737, Japan ended Sakimori from Kanto, made Chikushi locals to guard Tsushima and Iki from Shila.(Shila's bandits sometimes came to loot in Kyushu area)

752, prince of Shila brought tributes to Emperor Koken.

753, Otomo Komaro and Shila's envoy fought over the seat order in Tang.

759, Japan planned to attack Shila, but it didn't happen.

I think "being sent to the korean peninsula" is mistranslation.
The Japanese soldier is probably Sakimori.
Just my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: