Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Yae no Sakura 2013 Taiga Drama
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
NHK is trying to attract female viewers because more women watch TV than men.
Female viewers prefer lead character to be female and less battle.

Considering that both men and women are each half of the population, it is smart for NHK to portray more women than they used to in the Taiga Dramas because it is historical to have women even near the battle field, if not helping behind the scenes or even in battle like Yae and the Aizu brigade of women.

I want to thank Shikisoku, wicked lemon and others for their constant updates and comments on Yae no Sakura.

Even though I was at first interested in Yae no Sakura because I'm doing research on Niijima Jo, I learned so much about the strength of the Aizu tragic heroes and heroines of Matsudaira Katamori, Yamakawa Okura, Yamamoto Kakuma, Yamamoto Yae and Saigo Tonomo that I was totally engrossed by the action and personalities. Others who were also outstanding are Saigo Takamori (though not a look alike actor), Katsu Kaishu and Saito Hajime.

By the way, not only does the actor for Katamori resemble the historic Katamori, but the actor for Katsu Kaishu resembles the real man.

Katsu_Kaishu_Photo

I'm also researching Yamakawa Sutematsu who with Tsuda Umeko was one of the five girls who went on the Iwakura Mission to the United States in 1871 and studied there for 11 years. I did not realize how important both of her brothers, Hiroshi, Kenjiro and her sister Futaba were until seeing Yae no Sakura. Sutematsu became famous as the first Japanese woman college graduate (Vassar) and as the wife of General Oyama Iwao, the War Minister in Meiji, and eventually became Princess Oyama. She also did a lot of charity work with the Red Cross.

Anyway, I agree about episode 30 being the climax of the series, but I personally find the short life of Niijima Jo and Yae's marriage and establishment of Doshisha as important, even though its portrayal is more like a soap opera at the end. I forgot how Japanese dramas can be strung out so emotionally (after 10 years back in the States).
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is the Taiga I'm currently watching and I'm finding it very enjoyable and not nearly as goofy as some of the recent ones. Not that I mind goofy...

My wife has a Yae no Sakura Rikka-chan doll in her gunnery outfit with a carbine. I'll see if I can get her to send a photo.

BTW, I think the SA is going to have an interview next week of which Katsu Kaishu will be a big part...
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
And here she is:

For those not acquainted with Japanese toys, Rika-chan is basically Japan's best selling doll and comes in a million versions like Barbie (although Jenny, another Takara made doll, is the one that actually used to be Barbie). So Rika as Yae is like Barbie as Batgirl or such.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Yae No Sakura .. Reply with quote
Love it .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: