Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The Watanabe Art Museum Samurai Armour Collection Vol II?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Condottiero Magno
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: The Watanabe Art Museum Samurai Armour Collection Vol II? Reply with quote
Absolon and Thatcher's the Watanabe Art Museum Samurai Armour Collection Volume I: Kabuto & Mengu, I noticed in the back a pic of vol. II's cover, but cannot find mention of it anywhere online. Was vol. II ever published or is it yet to be released, if so when? Has it been cancelled? Sad
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My understanding is that it is never going to be published, per our interview with Trevor. If you're interested, here are the 4 episodes we did with him:

http://samuraiarchives.podbean.com/?s=trevor

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Condottiero Magno
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
My understanding is that it is never going to be published, per our interview with Trevor. If you're interested, here are the 4 episodes we did with him:

Thanks. I'll listen to them soon.

Sad Sad Sad

Don't mind spoilers, so was it poor sales or some other reason? Why not a subscription arrangement for publication, if funds are needed up front?

Volume I is a very useful reference in English for reading Bottomley's Arms and Armor of the Samurai and the Spectacular Helmets of Japan 16th-19th Century. I was hoping for the same detailed line drawings, like in vol. I, but now for the various armors.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the reason is because it is not economically feasible, because it is essentially self-publishing.

ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Condottiero Magno wrote:
Don't mind spoilers, so was it poor sales or some other reason? Why not a subscription arrangement for publication, if funds are needed up front?

It also seemed (in addition to what Kitsuno said) that part of the problem was differences with the museum. Museums, etc. like their things to be presented in the best possible light, and Trevor was more interested in giving accurate assessments (ie, calling a reproduction a reproduction).
Condottiero Magno
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
I think the reason is because it is not economically feasible, because it is essentially self-publishing.

Since it's self-published, couldn't the authors start up a subscription service for future publications? Back in 08, I acquired a copy of the long OOP Hefter's The Mexican Soldier: 1837-1847, the source cited in other works, via a pre-order offer from the Virtual Armchair General. Specialized works in English are almost inexistent, in contrast with mass market books, repetitive and sometimes error ridden, from the larger publishers.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure he's burned out, too. The podcasts will answer your questions I think.

estcrh
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I talked to Trevor about publishing an ebook but he seemed to have no interest. Publishing a book on samurai armor in today's environment should be looked at as a long term investment. It would be a travesty for the rest of Trevor's finished but unpublished books to never see the light of day as he has a unique perspective on the subject. I hope he will eventually unwind and get back to what he does best.
eickhorn
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:

I bought the V1 and the Gusoku series v1 some months ago, and they are absolutely great! a complete guide for understand the samurai armour...so I plan to buy all books of these series...

Sorry for my ignorance, as I'm in the samurai's world for a short time, but I would like to ask if something occurs with toraba.com, nothing new in the last months..(and the forum not works), someone could give me some info?

Maybe do a pre-order from books dealers could help for edit the new books... Mr. Absolon, we need your books! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: