Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Edo Period Talk in Toronto, ON (26 January)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Edo Period Talk in Toronto, ON (26 January) Reply with quote
The Japan Foundation in Toronto is hosting a talk by Dr. Kurushima Hiroshi next Saturday, at a free (SVP only) event detailed in this post.

Quote:
One of the keywords that you will often hear when talking about Japanese culture is Bushi, or Samurai. In recent years, Japanese mass media have begun to use the word Samurai Japan to describe their national baseball or soccer teams. Many people outside of Japan may be familiar with the Hollywood movie “The Last Samurai”. Does our contemporary image of Samurai correctly reflect what it was like in Japan during the Edo period (17th -19th centuries)? To answer these questions and teach us about the real samurai, we have invited Dr. Hiroshi Kurushima, Professor at the National Museum of Japanese History. This lecture offers an opportunity to think about the reality of Bushi and Samurai by examining some prominent Japanese art works from that era.

If anyone here is in or around the Queen City at that time, and there are still reservations available by then, it might be worth checking out.
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool. Are you going to be able to go to that?

I'm looking forward to meeting Kurushima-sensei in Honolulu in a few weeks.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Nerroth
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I may be able to make it. (Is this event and the one you are going to part of a broader tour of the US and Canada, then?)
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not anything so well-organized, so far as I know...

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Nerroth
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The talk was very interesting, and included a number of computer renderings of relevant wall scrolls and other pieces of art from the Edo era (and from later periods).

Most of the discussion focused on Edo itself (to include a piece commissioned for Tokugawa Iemitsu that, among other detals, depicted an emissary from Joseon), but there was a segment of the Q&A session that talked about the Pechin/Samure of the Ryūkyū Kingdom (and a scanned image of a scene set at and around Shuri Castle, which depicted Pechin in their various ranks of courtly attire, as well as Satsuma samurai deployed from Kyūshū).

I even got a chance to talk to Dr. Kurushima afterwards, where I asked about other topics, such as the Matsumae in Ezo, and the kind of prejudices and politics behind the depictions of "foreign" (Korean, Dutch, Ryūkyūan, Ainu) envoys in the art of the period.

I probably should have asked for the name of that image set in Ryūkyū, though...
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: