Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Setsuyôshû

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteffenRemvik
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Setsuyôshû Reply with quote
I'm doing a phd project on setsuyôshû (節用集) from the early modern period, and I'm asking for your help. I'm looking for any reference to setsuyôshû in any other sources. An example for what I'm hoping to find more of is for instance things like this: http://www.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kotenseki/html/bunko10/bunko10_08034_0006/index.html . This is an advertisment for a book lending store and it is mentioned that they have setsuyôshû. Another thing I have randomly stumbled over, was an advertisment for a specific edition of setsuyôshû in the back of a Kannon sutra book. Another thing I could think of where setsuyôshû might be mentioned is diaries.

So, if you happen to stumble upon a mention any kind about setsuyôshû in your studies, I would be very happy if you could tell me, either here on the forum, or via my blog (I think there should be a link to it in my signature).

Also, if you have anything interesting (or not interesting) to say about these books, please feel free Smile
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Boston Museum of Fine Arts has a couple of different versions. They have much in e-format and there may be something on-line. John
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having no idea of what a setsuyoshu is, I looked it up, and since some others might not know either, I translated a dictionary entry.
A (Japanese) dictionary that developed in the Muromachi Period. The Characters, meaning, and oigin of every-day words was arranged in i-ro-ha order (i.e. by pronouncition). At it was simple and convenient for looking up words, it was widely used through the Edo Period. The word also became a general term for a practical ictionary that looked up kanji by their reading.

せつよう‐しゅう【節用集】‥シフ
(セッチョウシュウとも) 室町時代に成立した国語辞書。日常語の用字・語釈・語源を示し、イロハ順に配列。通俗簡易で検索に便であったので江戸時代にかけて広く行われ、ことばの読み方から漢字を求めるイロハ引き実用辞書の総称ともなった。「伊京集」・饅頭屋本・黒本くろもと本・易林本などがある。

[株式会社岩波書店 広辞苑第五版]

If you want examples, try the search program of the National Diet Library. There is an English section, though they do not translated the material.There is a guest login for searches.
http://ndlopac.ndl.go.jp
They list 857 items. The first is a 1681 武家節用集. Sounds interesting. 319 are in the Old Books room. If you look at individual entries, some have "digitalized Contents" at the top, like 早引大節用集福寿蔵. I could see it, though I had to used the "control button" (right-click) to open it.
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a few books that use iroha format. They are indexes, like Nihonto Meikan. It is the only way you can collate kanji in any semblance of order. John
SteffenRemvik
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys. Many setsuyôshû from the early modern period also includes "encyclopedic" components in addition to the dictionary part and are richly illustrated, like this one: http://www.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kotenseki/html/bunko06/bunko06_00024/index.html

As a genre, I find them very interesting and I think they can tell us a lot about the early modern period in Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: