Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Child of Vengeance Novel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saberfencer10
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Child of Vengeance Novel Reply with quote
So I was perusing Amazon a bit this morning, and I happened to stumble across the novel Child of Vengeance by David Kirk. Being a lover of historical fiction, I was immediately intrigued. However, upon reading the description and seeing that the main character is none other than that modern sammyrai demigod Miyamoto Mushashi, I immediately grew suspicious. I will say that based on the small section of the preview that I read it seems to be a well written and exciting novel. Nonetheless, I am definitely left wondering how historically accurate it is and just how often it indulges in fanciful myths and Bushido BS. If I had to hazard a guess on the latter point I would say quite often, given how popular such nonsense unfortunately is with Western audiences, but who knows? Has anyone on here possibly read this book? If so would you recommend it, or would you say it's not worth my time and money? Any light you can shed on it would be helpful. Thanks
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't read it or even heard of it (looks like it was just published March 2013-thanks for bringing it to our attention), but just from the description it appears the author's done some research-he got Musashi's father's name correct, Musashi's childhood name, etc. Yeah, it does look like it would be your pretty typical heroic sam-u-rai swordmaster storyline, but unfortunately there don't seem to be too many comedies with Musashi as the star (although it cries out for a parody). It might be worth picking up used, but unless the publisher feels like sending along a review copy, I believe I'll pass unless it gets a recommendation from someone who reads a lot of Japanese themed fiction.
Graculus
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't read it either, but the author does actually live in Japan, and that has to be a start.

Actually, I will try and get my hands on a copy and let you know what it's like.

graculus
www.ichijoji.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: