Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Interpreting haniwa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Interpreting haniwa Reply with quote

20130509 392 by tatsushu, on Flickr

This is a haniwa that was on display at the British Museum. I've seen similar before, but this time I was caught by something I saw looking at it from the other side:

20130509 399 by tatsushu, on Flickr

I'm curious as to the impressions people have of what we are looking at, because I have two different thoughts going through my head:

1) The hat is propped up from behind and the trousers include some kind of early haidate or other such armor that forms the 'wings' seen on the legs.

2) This was made to be viewed from one side and they just didn't bother to complete everything around back.

I'm leaning towards interpretation #2, since this is the only time I've not seen the hat go all the way around, and the only time I've seen those "wings" on the trousers where it doesn't appear to just be the trousers belling out from where they are tied above the knee.

Any thoughts?

-Josh
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
While not directly addressing this haniwa, concerning objects made to be viewed from only one side, we see this, for example, in both the Kofun Period and the Jomon Period.

There are well-known cases of cylindrical haniwa that have been neatly finished on only one side -- the side that would have been seen by those from the ground. There was, after all, a very visual element to these ritual objects.

Decorative implements made of bone from the Jomon Period believed to have been worn at the waist also include designs on only one side.

Thanks for posting the pics!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: