Register :: Log in :: Profile   

47 Ronin trailer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: 47 Ronin trailer Reply with quote
Here it is, the moment you have all been waiting for: http://screenrant.com/47-ronin-movie-2013-trailer-keanu-reeves/

In all honestly, I think it could be a lot of fun to watch especially if you take it for what it is which is pure fantasy. Maybe the story will be easier to stomach because of the overt fantastical elements...
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read/watch fantasy a lot, sword and sorcery primarily. Whereas some fantasy wrapped about true historical events can be good I would have much prefered the 47 Ronin element be discarded and either an alternate reality or stand alone fantasy to have been created. Of course I shall watch it, probably multiple times, for the spectacle. This one is pure entertainment and hopefully with a capital E. John
Hiryuken
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was expecting a train-wreck, and it might still be, but based on that trailer it actually looks like it has potential to be a cool samurai fantasy film. They just should not have called it/tied it to 47 Ronin, a classic, iconic story and instead just called it something else. It has some great Japanese actors in it so hopefully it will be decent.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: 47 Ronin . Reply with quote
The most disturbing bit is they had several extra scenes filmed after principle photography was completed .Seems Universal were upset that Keanu did not have enough screentime .
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why must I watch things that I cannot unsee? Shocked

Sigh.

Okay, so it almost looks like they could have made a Lot5R movie, instead. WTF does this have to do with 47 Ronin? Oh, there are 47 of them. Rolling Eyes

I'll give them some of the CGI effects look cool, but the story sounds overdone, and, of course, Hollywood doesn't think they can get away with a film in the US without an American actor (usually white) to help interpret the foreign culture for most of its American audience. Sadly, they are probably right, but still, couldn't you find a Japanese American actor for the *lead role* in a film about *Japanese* fantasy? I might give them some slack if we saw Hollywood being more equal about other roles, but otherwise I find it demeaning that they seem to think I need to see an American (mostly white) actor in the role. Don't get me wrong--I don't blame Reeves for taking the role, because it looks like a lot of fun, but that doesn't mean that they should have. Still, there are plenty of Japanese--even Japanese American--actors that could have pulled this off.

All this leads me to ask whether or not I will bother to see it. I'm tempted by the fantasy, but utterly thrown off by the supposed connection with the actual story. Frankly, I'm not yet drawn in by the fantasy story, and there was enough bad armour and clothing (did they go rob the set of the original "Mikado"?) that I'm turned off right there. They seem to draw on a lot of Asian tropes, but I'm really not getting the "Japanese" feeling out of it, beyond a slapdash of set dressing.

Wait a minute, I think I do recognize this... wasn't this script rejected as one of the annual Samurai Fiction submissions?

I can't take it

Okay, that's all for now. Time to go back to lurking in the shadows...

Ninja!
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
To be fair, it's as authentic and accurate as pretty much every other version of the 47 Ronin story out there Laughing .

It is mind boggling that moviemakers want to make a movie based on an historical incident and then go out of their way to move as far away from that as possible. But it's the old "Hey! What title can we slap on our fantasy/action/monster movie that will be marketable, give us a hook, and sell tickets? 'To know the story of the 47 Ronin is to know Japan', so let's use that, along with the white guy to show how we can be more samurai-y than the Japanese!"

But I'll see it anyway since monsters are kewl Wink, and it looks like it might be good as a straight up fantasy epic like Makai Tensho (although the CG in this looks brutally bad).
Thunberg
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
It is mind boggling that moviemakers want to make a movie based on an historical incident and then go out of their way to move as far away from that as possible. But it's the old "Hey! What title can we slap on our fantasy/action/monster movie that will be marketable, give us a hook, and sell tickets? 'To know the story of the 47 Ronin is to know Japan', so let's use that, along with the white guy to show how we can be more samurai-y than the Japanese!"

It's possible that the script started out as something else then a 47 Ronin movie. Some movies like I, Robot and Starship Troopers where made from re-writes of scripts that originally wasn't based on the books. The studios decided to put the name on the movies and have the script changed since they owned the movie rights.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well good ole Keanu is half asian of a sort, which fits the narrative, and I can't think of any half-Japanese actors that pull ridiculous box office numbers like he could, so good on him I guess.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
prodgodq
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
"It's possible that the script started out as something else then a 47 Ronin movie."

Based on what I've read from the internet articles on this movie, it was designed as a 47 Ronin movie from the ground up. But the film was plagued with problems from the beginning, because the studio didn't like the path that the director was taking, specifically, not enough Keanu. I can understand this from the studio's point of view, since they were paying him a ton of money to be in the film and they felt he wasn't in enough scenes. I believe the director was replaced mid stream. Even so, the studio disagreed with the final project so much that scenes were added post-filming with Keanu and CG supernatural creatures. This isn't all that uncommon when the studio feels they have to "save" a film.
This film has been delayed for almost two years, so we can assume that the studio didn't like the film at all, and was trying to figure out what to do with it.

The finished product should be hilarious.
Thunberg
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Based on what I've read from the internet articles on this movie, it was designed as a 47 Ronin movie from the ground up. But the film was plagued with problems from the beginning, because the studio didn't like the path that the director was taking, specifically, not enough Keanu. I can understand this from the studio's point of view, since they were paying him a ton of money to be in the film and they felt he wasn't in enough scenes. I believe the director was replaced mid stream. Even so, the studio disagreed with the final project so much that scenes were added post-filming with Keanu and CG supernatural creatures. This isn't all that uncommon when the studio feels they have to "save" a film.
This film has been delayed for almost two years, so we can assume that the studio didn't like the film at all, and was trying to figure out what to do with it.

The finished product should be hilarious.

Ok. If it's not messed up one way, it's another. Doesn't much matter for the end result; I get the impression that it's a "historical" Hollywood movie more inaccurate and fantasy-ish then 300

I'm looking forward to it. Not the movie in itself so much, I may or may not see it, but all the reactions to it.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Early critical reaction to the film.

shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great GIF. John
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I love how the guard force of Kira's mansion somehow has turned into 1000s, and include the ogre-giant thing from 300.

And by love, of course I mean hate.
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Japan Unbowed by ’47 Ronin’
http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2013/12/10/japan-unbowed-by-47-ronin/
“It would probably be well received outside Japan,” the college English professor said. “But people here—older people in particular–who know the original story would feel uncomfortable” as the movie is “totally different” from the original plot, but still claims to be based on historical events.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: 47 Ronin Reply with quote
The Heaven's Gate of Jidai Geki ,to be fair i like Heaven's Gate despite its mass historical tinkering ,i feel bad about using it as an analogy for 47 Hobbits The Desolation Of Keanu .
"Oishi And Fuwa's Excellent Adventure "
junklover
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen the movie, and it was what I have expected. I mean, costumes and landscapes are far, far away from "Authentic" Japan, but I see far more factor of Denki(like Hakken-den and Makai Tensho), and Jidai-geki and most surprisingly, Chushingura. There are weakness on the writing, mainly because of the fantasy factors they've thrown in. They should have stick to developing the relationships between characters instead of having Tengu story if the movie lasts only for two hours.
Other than that, I am pretty much satisfied with the amount of money (1000yen, with ladies discount) I've paid. As a matter fact, I wanted to catch subbed version as well, but theaters are pulling of the subbed version already, so I don't think I can catch it.

I went through some reviews on Twitters. It seems more the people are into the Jidai-geki and Japanese history, more they welcome 47Ronin. (BTW, those who loved Pacific Rim have tendency to be welcoming or or at least forgiving to this movie as well.)
Some people on the creative job(writers, designer, manga-ka) are giving extremely high review, awed by the way the movie reconstructed and redesigned an classic tale from different culture into their own.
Oh yea, some fans are lamenting part jokingly, part seriously about the fact that Japanese are no longer capable of making not only decent Kaijyu movies but also Denki movies and Hollywood is making those for Japanese. lol.

BTW, those who have most harsh opinion about the movie seems to be the people with so-so interest in Jidai-geki and Japanese History.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: 47 Ronin Trailer Reply with quote
I did like Pacific Rim and it does make sense to aim for the same audience .

Just watched Keanu in Man Of Tai Chi,horrible experience ,truly awful .

That may be my sticking point with this though .
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I liked pacific rim because it mimicked Japanese big robot anime to an extreme with all the stupid tropes and goofy characters. If I didn't get the joke I would have hated that movie.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
narukagami
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
If I didn't get the joke I would have hated that movie.
Like most Western audiences/critics?

Del Toro is apparently a big fan of Ultraman, Godzilla, Evangelion, Voltron, and the like, and Pacific Rim was supposed to be a love letter to mecha/kaiju media, and all the people knocking it just didn't get that. I'm a fan of big robots and giant monsters, and grew up watching all that stuff, so to me the movie was absolutely amazing.
It's a shame it didn't do as well as it should have, but I think they overestimated the size of the audience with that same love and exposure to the "genre."

I might see 47 Ronin next weekend, I'm reserving full judgement until then, but my initial impression of the trailer was it just looked like some sammyrai masturbatory fantasy bullshit, but the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of stuff like Legend of the Five Rings (which at its worst could be described that way, however), so I'm hoping it might turn out to be a cool "Japanese styled fantasy" movie if I go in with the right mindset.
"When the Portuguese first landed upon Japan’s shores in 1543, they stroked their handlebar mustaches and said, “You know, that whole honorable swordsman thing is working well for you, but what you really need is our brand of GUNshido.” They then shot the word “PORTUGAL” into the side of the Emperor’s palace." - Omri Petitte, PC Gamer.
popcornsamurai
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not a fan of Keanu but my hope is that it will inspire kids to get into Chanbara movies, especially when so many are easily available on Hulu. When I was a kid I had to dependon the whims of the Foreign section at blockbuster.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: 47 Ronin Trailer Reply with quote
Sadly there are some really ignorant comments under the review ,like "I wanna see Keanu chop some eggroll's" .

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/12/review-47-ronin-is-a-classic-display-of-hollywood-ignorance.html
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 47 Ronin Trailer Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
Sadly there are some really ignorant comments under the review ,like "I wanna see Keanu chop some eggroll's" .

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/12/review-47-ronin-is-a-classic-display-of-hollywood-ignorance.html

They were pretty brutal and uninformed.

And the irony of a review talking about Hollywood's ignorance of history that claims Asano's lands were given to Kira... At wits end
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: 47 Ronin Trailer Reply with quote
Poor Kira ,just cannot catch a break .

Hollywood Reporter is somewhat kinder to the film .but not enough to convince one to brave the multi plex.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/47-ronin/review/667451

and less kind .
http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/film-review-47-ronin-1200990486/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breakingnewsalert

These peeps like it
http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/47-Ronin-6688.html
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: 47 Ronin Trailer Reply with quote
Its a "BOMB"

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/keanu-reeves-47-ronin-bombing-universal-prepares-for-big-loss-1201001065/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breakingnewsalert
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 47 Ronin Trailer Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
And the irony of a review talking about Hollywood's ignorance of history that claims Asano's lands were given to Kira... At wits end

This may just be a case of the events in the film being confused with recollection of history. In the movie Ako was given to Kira. Must just be a confused writer who needs to brush up on actual events before writing about them.

Lycaena and I watched 47 Ronin on Christmas day. We went in with low expectations, so we weren't disappointed with what we saw on screen. It wasn't a great film nor was it horrible either. There were some odd editing choices. The characters were very one dimensional. I'm sure I'll forget most of it within a few days time.

They seemed to try to be respectful of the source material, at least as best as one could expect from a film about Yokai from Hollywood. Good ol' Turnbull was a consultant on the film. They weren't exactly accurate, but it wasn't horribly disrespectful either.

What you see in the trailer is pretty much what you get in the film. My biggest gripe is that the tattooed guy you see in all the promotional material is only in the film for 30 seconds. Blink and you'll miss him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: