Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Byakkotai 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Byakkotai 2013 Reply with quote
Cannot say enough about how truly AWFUL the 2013 Tokyo TV New Year's Special truly is. Picked it up raw and forced--I mean FORCED--myself to sit through 7 hours of pure dreck, hoping it would get better. It just got worse.

Utterly absurd historical inaccuracies--including an unnaturally aged Hijikata popping up in his perfect pompadour in all kinds of places he patently wasn't, like in the place of the Satsuma trooper who finished off the Saigo daughter. This wasn't "based on a novel," it must have been based on some fangirl cosplayer's hallucinations!

All talk, no action--most of the interminable yakking comes out the mouth of Saigo Tanomo, about whom we cease to care by the middle of the first episode. They also play him for laughs, which under the circumstances I found pretty reprehensible. The sets are cheesy and the costumes just appallingly inaccurate to the point where it just "clunked" on the eye. The biggest absurdity of all was no one ever got dirty or even mussed throughout all of Toba-Fushimi.

The Byakkotai's seppuku seemed to happen at random, and was a barely-touched-upon side note, as Katamori drank tea and belly-laughed with Teru-hime in the castle which showed no signs of a siege.

The mass-jigai of Saigo Tanomo's entire female extended family got nary a rise out of Saigo, who shook it off with a grunt and went traipsing off on a mountain outing with his son, chatting cheerfully up the path in perfectly pressed new clothes.

Whole thing, from start to finish, 100% unbelievable and wretched; and I'm usually willing to cut anyone making a jidai-geki plenty of slack.

$16.95 I'm never going to see again. Don't even pay that, not worth it!

As a public service,

Owarikenshi
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Byyako Tai Reply with quote
Don't feel bad i paid 20 bucks for a non subbed version from a Japanese video store ,have not actually watched it yet, now i think ill give it a pass .
It was written by James Miki who wrote Aoi Tokugawa Sandai and Yoshimune so i was expecting something of similar caliber ,"guess not !".
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, he must have been having an off day; but I suspect the film's budget may have been a bigger factor. Particularly in contrast to the current Taiga, everything was just so. . . fake!
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Byakotai Reply with quote
No kidding Yae No Sakura is hard to beat .
Tokyo TV always do these low budget New Years Jidai Geki though .
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: 2013 Taiga Drama Yae No Sakura . Reply with quote
Looks like it will head into a similar direction as Year One In The North for awhile .
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's actually OK with me because that's a pretty obscure part of the history, the scenery up there is incredible, and I didn't know Yae's family got caught up in that trek.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Byyakotai 2013 Reply with quote
I do not not know what it is with Tokyo TV?, but i must conclude their new years dramas totally suck .

I picked up this 2011 drama with Koji Yamamoto as Takenaka Shigeharu titled "Sengoku Shippuden Futari No Gunshi ". I could apply all the complaints against "Byyakotai" to this ,it was non stop talking , Masaya Kato as Nobunaga totally overacted ,the whole production looked like s shoestring budget ,the women cast members all looked unattractive ,a battle scene consists of 20 men charging in the local park and so forth .

You really have to cease to wonder why Japanese tv audiences no longer watch jidai geki when they are served up crap like this .
The same story being the friendship between Shigeharu and Kuroda Kanbei is the subject of next years Taiga which was why i picked this up , i only made it through the first 2 hours and canned it .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: