Register :: Log in :: Profile   

How encumbering was a sashimono?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narukagami
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: How encumbering was a sashimono? Reply with quote
Question is as the title says. Razz

A friend and I were talking about banners and standards in ancient and pre-modern armies and we got on the subject of sashimono. We got into a discussion on if they were all that encumbering or in any way hindered a soldier's fighting capability and mobility.
We can't find a good answer one way or another if they would have a negligible effect, as they're just flags on a light frame, but maybe some more elaborate ones might, or if they might impede a running/charging solder by adding to the wind resistance, like trying to run with a sail tied to your back. They're also held stiffly in place on the back, so I severely doubt they'd get in the way or throw one's balance off either.

I know there are some re-enactors here and others who have had first hand experience with armor and whatnot, so maybe someone can give us some insight?
"When the Portuguese first landed upon Japan’s shores in 1543, they stroked their handlebar mustaches and said, “You know, that whole honorable swordsman thing is working well for you, but what you really need is our brand of GUNshido.” They then shot the word “PORTUGAL” into the side of the Emperor’s palace." - Omri Petitte, PC Gamer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: