Register :: Log in :: Profile   

imjin war - land distribution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samu
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: imjin war - land distribution Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

to this post I've added a map of korea. It is from a korean history class I took. The teacher told us that it shows whom of his generals toyotomi promised which rregion of korea once the invasion was won.

Since the resolution of the map is really bad, the japanese names are hard to read. Maybe someone is able to read the korean letters or even the japanese names.

I'm really interested in whom of the Daimyo would have benefited the most of the invasion.

As always, Thanks for your help, great community!

[/img]
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn't show the daimyo to which the Korean provinces were going to be granted (that was never really determined, other than naming three possible candidates for Kanpaku of Korea)-rather, it shows how the Japanese allocated command duties among the eight divisions they had active in Korea in the last half of 1592. Each division was given a province as its theater of operations for which they would be held responsible for consolidating Japanese control. From north to south on the left you have in command Konishi Yukinaga, Kuroda Nagamasa, Ukita Hideie, Fukushima Masanori, and Kobayakawa Takakage. From north to south on the right you have Kato Kiyomasa, Mouri Yoshinari, and Mouri Terumoto.

Also, I don't read Korean, but is the header claiming that this is a map of how things stood in 1192? If so, it should of course be 1592.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
Also, I don't read Korean, but is the header claiming that this is a map of how things stood in 1192? If so, it should of course be 1592.

I read a little bit of Korean, and the syllable after the 1192 is "han". That doesn't seem like a year to me, like "nen" would come after the number in Japanese to mark it as a year. Considering the number "4406" comes immediately after it, I don't think it's a year--I think it's some sort of total of something. Perhaps troops, or some economic number.
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The map header reads 팔도(八道)담당(担当) 분할(分割), which refers to the assignment of the eight districts of the Korean Peninsula to the generals mentioned in Tatsu's post.

Concerning the numbers, they seem to mean that the eight districts were estimated to have been worth 1192万4406石, or 11,924,406 koku. The character after 1192 isn't "han", but rather 만. It looks deceptively like 안 in this picture, but the context suggests to me, at least, that it is "man".
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
nagaeyari wrote:
The map header reads 팔도(八道)담당(担当) 분할(分割), which refers to the assignment of the eight districts of the Korean Peninsula to the generals mentioned in Tatsu's post.

Concerning the numbers, they seem to mean that the eight districts were estimated to have been worth 1192万4406石, or 11,924,406 koku. The character after 1192 isn't "han", but rather 만. It looks deceptively like 안 in this picture, but the context suggests to me, at least, that it is "man".

I was hoping you'd show up. That makes sense--and it's been so long since I've tried out my Hangul, so I'm not surprised I was off a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: