Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Sekigahara Battlefield

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIC
Vagrant
Vagrant
Member for 4 years

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Sekigahara Battlefield Reply with quote
Hola all!

Not sure this is the correct place to post so please let me know or move it to a more appropriate forum. Also thank you for letting me post and I hope I am not too intrusive.

We area headed out to the Sekigahara battlefield in October and thought to ask this forum if anyone could recommend specifics to see or if anyone had any thoughts on the battlefield itself.

We will have a local guide but we want to make sure that we don't miss anything...

Further we are not sure how much of the battlefield is still there...If anyone could comment it would be much appreciated.

All the best and thank you in advance

Teras I. Cassidy
Geek Nation Tours
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The battlefield is now a town, but you can walk around to most of the sites, and the museum isn't bad. I particularly found the hill where Ishida Mitsunari was standing to be moving, because you can still see across to the various mountains and imagine the battlefield, covered with gunsmoke and the clash of armies below you. One can just imagine his initial feeling of triumph--the Tokugawa forces had fallen into his trap--he had Kobayakawa above them on the flank with tremendous numbers, and you had forces stationed on the mountains behind Tokugawa to cut off their retreat. They were bottled up at the pass, and you have the high ground, set in, and ready to defend. Based solely on where his troops were and how many he had, Mitsunari must have been confident in his victory. Imagine the Tokugawa feebly firing up against Kobayakawa in an odd but futile effort. Then, the tragedy as the Kobayakawa forces start down, but rather than attacking the Tokugawa forces they run into Otani. Soon, everything around him just started to collapse, and a certain victory turned to ashes before his eyes.

That said, I don't recall what else was there, though it has been well over a decade since I visited Sekigahara itself.

-Josh
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Teras.

Here is a start
http://www.kanko-sekigahara.jp/
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I visited the battlefield last November. Kuroda Nagamasa's camp has another great view of the battlefield.

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Teras,

The biggest issue with the Sekigahara battlefield (as with most Japanese battlefields) is that unlike many Civil War battlefields in the US, it's not designated a national park or preserved site. Consequently you have a lot of unconnected scattered battlefield sites with markers broken up by farms, roads, and the town. If you have a local guide, he'll be invaluable in getting you from one to the other. The terrain is much like it was in 1600 aside from a few streams being rerouted and you thankfully don't have much in the way of skyscapers or development blocking the view.

One thing I'd like to bring to your attention in the link that Bethetsu provided is #7: Sekigahara War Land. It's cheesy as anything, but in my opinion it's a must-see tourist attraction and your tour group should love it.

Another thing to remember is that the same field was the site of a major engagement in the Jinshin No Ran of 672, another civil war in ancient Japan. So you might want to include a short presentation on that as well in your tour.

The tour looks like fun and the weather in October should be perfect, not to mention you'll see some gorgeous foilage as it changes color for fall.
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW, are you trying to time the visit around the anniversary? I seem to recall that Oct 20 is the anniversary.
TIC
Vagrant
Vagrant
Member for 4 years

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello all and thank you so much for all the advice! The tour runs October 10th to 23rd and we will be in Sekigahara for the festival on October 18th and 19th for the festival but will miss the actual anniversary on October 21st (for those doing the extension we will be on our way to Kyoto).

All great posts and we will try to take in as much of what you suggested... Especially Sekigahara War Land Wink

I only have two spots on the tour if anyone is interested Smile http://www.geeknationtours.com/index.php?pageid=31&tourid=7

Teras
Geek Nation Tours
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: