Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Anna Hartshorne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Anna Hartshorne Reply with quote
Many Samurai Archives members are acquainted with Anna Hartshorne, who wrote Japan and Her People and assisted Nitobe Inazo with his book, Bushido: The Soul of Japan (1900).

Japan and Her People was originally published in 1902. It went out of print, but Brent Massey and Christopher West edited it with an introduction by Lian Hearn. Some of these names must be familiar! The following photo was sent to me today via the Bryn Mawr College archives via the Haverford College.

http://triptych.brynmawr.edu/cdm/ref/collection/cope/id/16783
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
She's a looker. John
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
shin no sen wrote:
She's a looker. John

Yes, she was quite pretty. This photo from the late 1800s is in very good condition.

I have been doing extensive research on the first Japanese students who studied in the U.S.A. and U.K. As far as I know, all were from samurai families. In my research on Tsuda Ume(ko), who went to the U.S. at the age of seven with the Iwakura Mission, I found a strong link between Ume and Anna. They met during Ume's second study abroad at Bryn Mawr in Philadelphia. After Ume established her school in 1900, which subsequently became Tsuda College, Anna taught there from its second year and went on extensive money raising trips to the American East Coast to keep the college going. After Tsuda died in 1929, Anna stayed on in Japan, until 1940. Besides Japan and Her People, she is said to have been instrumental in Nitobe Inazo's writing of Bushido: The Soul of Japan.

I'm sure there are SA members who have something to say about Nitobe's Bushido.
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't help feeling she would have been rather shocked at being called a looker Very Happy

I read about Anna Hartshorne's connection with Tsuda Umeko when I was writing the preface to Japan and her People. My main source of information was Barbara Rose's biography of Tsuda Umeko. I can't wait for your book on her, Gracia.

She and Nitobe had a very warm friendship, I seem to remember, and I think were both motivated by wanting to present Japanese culture in a way that resonated with the Christian West.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
heron wrote:
She and Nitobe had a very warm friendship, I seem to remember, and I think were both motivated by wanting to present Japanese culture in a way that resonated with the Christian West.

And unfortunately as it turned out, Nitobe was the one who suceeded wildly when it should have been Anna. Wink
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
heron wrote:
I can't help feeling she would have been rather shocked at being called a looker Very Happy

I read about Anna Hartshorne's connection with Tsuda Umeko when I was writing the preface to Japan and her People. My main source of information was Barbara Rose's biography of Tsuda Umeko. I can't wait for your book on her, Gracia.

Anna was also a good friend of Nitobe's wife, Mary Elkinton. I think all three of them were Quakers because the first time Anna taught in Tokyo, it was at the Friends School.

I've got 16 chapters so far, four more to go before I'll share some chapters with a select few. All of these people below lived in both Japan and U.S.A. (except Yae). Several stayed also in the U.K. and visited European and Asian countries. They all were bilingual, bi-cultural and Christian.

Tsuda Ume(ko)
Niijima Jo
Yamakawa Sutematsu (Princess Oyama)
Nagai Shigeko (Baroness Uyru)
Mori Arinori

All of the above are connected to the Iwakura Mission:

Yamamoto (Niijima) Yae will also be included along with Alice Bacon, Anna Hartshorne and Clara Whitney (Katsu Kaishu's daughter-in-law).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: