Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The Yi Soon Shin film Roaring Currents ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: The Yi Soon Shin film Roaring Currents ... Reply with quote
Sounds like food poisoning ..

The pluses ,unlike the TV Series from 2004 the costumes and armor looks accurate (The Left Cholla Navy in the TV Series were wearing costumes from the 18th century ,we will not even go there about Samurai wearing a smorgasbord of armor/dress from 11th century -Bakumatsu era ).

It has a great budget ,the director did War Of The Arrows which i felt was an overrated Korean remake of The Searchers ,but Choi Min Sik plays the Admiral .

Here is the trailer ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVDAPxq-EZo
Tai
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fountain
Now that it is out, this looks to be a film to see.
Choi Min-sik is usually very good in the roles he does.
chk out http://www.hancinema.net/korean_movie_Roaring_Currents.php

Tai
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: The Admiral ..Roaring Currents . Reply with quote
The Admiral Roaring Currents opens in the US on Aug 15th ..
http://www.hancinema.net/the-admiral-roaring-currents-premieres-in-the-north-america-on-august-15-71828.html
Tai
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Admiral Yi Soon shin Reply with quote
I don't know about you but It seems like fewer films are coming out in historical drama. All the way around. So I'm looking forward to this. I would have liked to of seen a few Japanese actors in the movies' credits.
Did anyone see the "War of the Arrows", it was a Korean film about a Chinese incursion in Korea. Even though this is a Japanese History forum, I thought I'd mention it. Good stuff!
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: The Admiral ..Roaring Currents . Reply with quote
Yes Tai it was a good film with more than a nod to classic westerns .
Historical Films and Dramas are expensive to make and few people even watch them these days ,so that really is why they are so rare at present .
Tai
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: taiga Reply with quote
Yeah. yes, but we are still here!
So, if I get a DVD of this, I'll give you a holler.
Oddly, I don't know about Japan, but in Korea they have built sageuk(Korean historical drama)villages and palaces.It must save on building new sets each time. I guess the history dramas create a national unity. For me, I've just always enjoyed the "costume drama".
Just like with NHK, one problem is,the productions seem to revolve around just a few figures in history.
As far as the story about the Admiral is concerned, I believe his story has not been told enough. Think he had 23 naval engagements, his record is, both past and present, quite outstanding.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: The Yi Soon Shin film Roaring Currents ... Reply with quote
They have reduced the number of showings in the US for some reason .
Must admit Tai Age Of Warriors is my favorite Sageuk ,and nods to Emperor Wang Guhn ,God Of War ,Great King Sejong and the recent Jeong Dojeon .
Tai
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't seen Jeong Dojeon. There sumthin excellent about Wang Guhn to get me to go 100+ episodes. That was just a great period of TV for Korea. Korean movies have a completely different flavor that TV. I wonder if the distribution is having problems or what?
Tai
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Roaring, roaring currents Reply with quote
[img][/img]
Quote:
Decent performances at the South Korean box office by “How To Train Your Dragon 2″ and “Kundo: Age of The Rampant” were overshadowed as local period actioner “Roaring Currents” delivered an unprecedented first weekend performance.Released on Wednesday July 30, “Roaring Currents” took only 37 hours to sell its first million tickets. It attracted 3.68 million spectators over the strictly defined Fri-Sun weekend, and finished the fuller five day weekend with a total of 4.759 million tickets sold. In cash terms that was a five day score of $35.5 million (KRW36.8 billion).
From Variety,com
Not bad on a budget of 9.5m. congrats to Yul Kwon maybe catching some breaks. Yeah and Kundo: age of Rampant maybe another film to see. Have not see American Box office on Roaring Currents.
It looks as if Admiral Yi Sun-sin and his turtle ships have struck again with Roaring Currents.[img][/img]
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Roaring, roaring currents Reply with quote
Tai wrote:
[img][/img]
Quote:
Decent performances at the South Korean box office by “How To Train Your Dragon 2″ and “Kundo: Age of The Rampant” were overshadowed as local period actioner “Roaring Currents” delivered an unprecedented first weekend performance.Released on Wednesday July 30, “Roaring Currents” took only 37 hours to sell its first million tickets. It attracted 3.68 million spectators over the strictly defined Fri-Sun weekend, and finished the fuller five day weekend with a total of 4.759 million tickets sold. In cash terms that was a five day score of $35.5 million (KRW36.8 billion).
From Variety,com
Not bad on a budget of 9.5m. congrats to Yul Kwon maybe catching some breaks. Yeah and Kundo: age of Rampant maybe another film to see. Have not see American Box office on Roaring Currents.
It looks as if Admiral Yi Sun-sin and his turtle ships have struck again with Roaring Currents.[img][/img]

I read Roaring Currents despite big box office had mixed reviews ,the main complaints were too much CGI and the last hour is overtly patriotic to the point of annoyance .
Kundo seems better ,it opens here in Sept ,reviews state that its a big budget homage to Spaghetti Westerns and Seijun Suzuki .
narukagami
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Roaring, roaring currents Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
the last hour is overtly patriotic to the point of annoyance
It being a Korean movie about the Imjin War I'm honestly surprised it was only the last hour and not the entire movie. Just Kidding
"When the Portuguese first landed upon Japan’s shores in 1543, they stroked their handlebar mustaches and said, “You know, that whole honorable swordsman thing is working well for you, but what you really need is our brand of GUNshido.” They then shot the word “PORTUGAL” into the side of the Emperor’s palace." - Omri Petitte, PC Gamer.
Tai
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: The Admiral Reply with quote
Well Guys, I plucked down the ponies when I was surprised to see it showing at the local Imax.
It just goes to show that our Forum has "wicked" persuasive powers.
I don't know why I wasn't more pissed at the anti Japanese, pro Korean sentiment. All Asia historical movies have it. What really got me was the naval action. It's like a new toy I suppose. These guys went computer effects, like insane.
Don't get me wrong here, Adm Yi Sun Shin is a hero(even though Asia would have been better for it, had Jpn made it to city of Heaven.) Because The Admiral is such a Hero, much more than Britain's Adm Nelson; the film would have been better had the characters been more developed. Half the title is The Admiral and most of the planet has no idea who he was.
So...am I glad I went. yeah, you bet. There are so few films coming out, these days... it is like a starving kid and his bowl of rice.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Admiral Reply with quote
Tai wrote:

I don't know why I wasn't more pissed at the anti Japanese, pro Korean sentiment. All Asia historical movies have it.

I can't imagine anyone here would be surprised. Anti-Japan movies are a cottage industry in East Asia. Or a booming business.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: The Admiral ..Roaring Currents . Reply with quote
The Admiral was such a big hit there are two new Yi Soon Shin dramas coming already .

The first is really stupid ,it has Yi Soon Shin surviving the Imjin war and conquering Joseon .This garbage is produced by SBS .

Book Of Hours is a KBS Drama staring in January with Choi Soo Jong (Wang Guhn ,Dae Jo Young ) as Yi Soon Shin ,the drama will also cover other characters like Prince Gwanghae who fought in the land war .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: