Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Book Review: Nobunaga no gohan, Ryoma no obento

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Book Review: Nobunaga no gohan, Ryoma no obento Reply with quote
Last year while in Japan, I found a book called "Nobunaga no gohan, Ryoma no obento" by Manaitakurabu. I did not buy it because the price was out of range. However, when the book was only a dollar at my local Book-Off branch, I bought it.

The book was published in 2002 and consists of 222 pages. Here are some interesting fun facts:

Murasaki no shikibu's brain power was due to sardines.
Kusunoki Masashige's stamina was due to soybean sprouts.
Hojo Soun's secret to longevity was due to umeboshi (pickled plum).
Oda Nobunaga loved strong country foods. The story where he nearly killed the cook because the food was not to his liking is in the book.
Akechi Mitsuhide was fond of chimaki (rice cake wrapped in bamboo leaves).
Tokugawa Ieyasu preferred wheat porridge.

Unfortunately, there are no pictures in the book. That being said, it does have a bibliography of two pages. Now the question is, is the book worth buying and reading? Yes, it is. You can use your knowledge and win a drink or two with your friends at a bar.

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
hashiba_hideyoshi
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any funfacts you can share about Hideyoshi's food? Just Kidding
Hey, gotta love my namesake Very Happy
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hideyoshi was fond of warikayu or rice porridge according to the book.

owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting link on Sengoku food. I not know how accurate it is though.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?452907-Food-during-the-Sengoku-Era

narukagami
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
owari no utsuke wrote:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?452907-Food-during-the-Sengoku-Era
There's a lot of sketchy stuff there, and a lot of jumping to conclusions. For one thing:
Quote:
There is another story, too, regarding Kenshin wrapping rice in nori. If that is true, this would imply that Uesugi Kenshin invented sushi.
Pretty sure the author doesn't know what sushi is.

The list of foods is probably good, but the history I'd take with a grain of salt without solid citation/fact checking.
"When the Portuguese first landed upon Japan’s shores in 1543, they stroked their handlebar mustaches and said, “You know, that whole honorable swordsman thing is working well for you, but what you really need is our brand of GUNshido.” They then shot the word “PORTUGAL” into the side of the Emperor’s palace." - Omri Petitte, PC Gamer.
hashiba_hideyoshi
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
narukagami wrote:
owari no utsuke wrote:

There's a lot of sketchy stuff there, and a lot of jumping to conclusions. For one thing:
Quote:
There is another story, too, regarding Kenshin wrapping rice in nori. If that is true, this would imply that Uesugi Kenshin invented sushi.
Pretty sure the author doesn't know what sushi is.

Eh? What would you define sushi as? I mean... Norimaki and temarizushi are wraped in seaweed. They don't count as sushi?
Although"rice wraped in nori" doesn't necesarily mean norimaki or temarizushi either, but still...
narukagami
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hashiba_hideyoshi wrote:
Although"rice wraped in nori" doesn't necesarily mean norimaki or temarizushi either, but still...
That's basically what I mean. I can go to the conbini right now and buy tons on onigiri wrapped in nori, none of those are sushi. The bento usually has a sheet of nori on top the rice, that's not sushi either (and technically not "wrapped," but still). The author's criteria for assuming that Kenshin "invented sushi" was that he wrapped rice in nori. That's it. He doesn't give the impression he's aware of sumeshi and gives the impression that he, like many westerners, assumes sushi is just "Japanese rice and stuff."
"When the Portuguese first landed upon Japan’s shores in 1543, they stroked their handlebar mustaches and said, “You know, that whole honorable swordsman thing is working well for you, but what you really need is our brand of GUNshido.” They then shot the word “PORTUGAL” into the side of the Emperor’s palace." - Omri Petitte, PC Gamer.
hashiba_hideyoshi
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
By the by...

I've been wondering for a while... just WHAT exactly is the "strong country-style food/flavour" that Nobunaga likes so much? Food with lots of salt? Food made with intense flavour (sour foods are made extra-sour, spicy food made extra-spicy, etc)?
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hashiba_hideyoshi wrote:
By the by...

I've been wondering for a while... just WHAT exactly is the "strong country-style food/flavour" that Nobunaga likes so much? Food with lots of salt? Food made with intense flavour (sour foods are made extra-sour, spicy food made extra-spicy, etc)?

Given that he's from Owari, I'd assume he had a predilection for red miso, which Owari and Mikawa are famous for. It's a much stronger flavor than standard miso, and can be quite overwhelming if you're not used to it. Nagoya & Mikawa cooking generally has very strong, bold flavors compared to food from other places in Japan--so much so that I told my friends in Kyushu that their food was flavorless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: