Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The man, the myth, the legends of Takenaka Hanbei

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RollingWave
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: The man, the myth, the legends of Takenaka Hanbei Reply with quote
First, I like to note that the SA's entry on him is probably off, Shigetoshi was most likely his cousin and not his son, his son was Takenaka Shigekado. Both Shigetoshi and Shigekado entered the Edo period as Daimyo's (though Shigekado's fief actually wasn't large enough to qualify, he was granted a special privilege.)

Shigetoshi was born around 1562, so while it was technically possible for him to be Hanbei's son. Records and actions seem to suggest that if he was his son, then it's his bastard son. Because it was clear that the principal inheritance went to Shigekado (who was only 6 years old when his father died. and Shigetoshi was named his guardian. )

But I like to put this thread to discuss the Takenaka clan, and this can also really expand into discussing guys like Yamanoto Kansuke since there is a considerable similarity between him and Hanbei, aka the actual records don't seem to match up with the populist version much. as far as I'm aware the Takenaka family never got additional lands during Hanbei's service in the Oda, which seems like a good indicator of how much Nobunaga thought of his value. And his name never came up in official contribution awards papers during this time.

I haven't read the Japanese sources, but is most of the Hanbei legend coming from the book his son Takenaka Shigekado wrote? or was he also mentioned in things like Taikōsamagunkonouch / Shinshokoki ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: