Register :: Log in :: Profile   

What are the limitations or taboos in nanshoku/shudo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hashiba_hideyoshi
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Member for 4 years

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: What are the limitations or taboos in nanshoku/shudo? Reply with quote
I came a cross an article about nanshoku practice recently. I didn't have the time to read it in full at the time, but I made the mistake of not saving it so I couldn't find it again. Hoping that someone could help me with infos.

What I thought I saw was that the age limit for the wakashu to be between 10-20 years old, and that older or younger are unacceptable. Now I don't know about the younger age limit, but I was under the impression that 18 is already too old for a wakashu. Is this a new thing that evolved in the Edo era?

I think there's also something about oral sex being taboo, and I think the article was comparing it to Greek/Roman practice where oral sex = humiliation, and so it's not practiced.

Anyone can help with this? Or help with references to nanshoku practice in general? Because just Googling only turns up very few information. Thanks.
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the only articles I've read describing the practice is Maki Morinaga, "The Gender of Onnagata as the Imitating Imitated," positions 10:2 (2002), 245-284.

I think she discusses the age question in there, but I can't find it at the moment. I'd wager it's simply a matter of variations in the age of genpuku in different regions, at different times.

The Honolulu Museum's series on shunga also discusses nanshoku, and sex more broadly. Hopefully you might be able to find some answers in there.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
hashiba_hideyoshi
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Member for 4 years

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks! I'll check it out!

I was curious because that's the first time I ever saw any rules/taboos in the sexual parts of wakashudo being described. In most places it's only written that sexual relations are involved, but never really say what is or isn't allowed to be done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: