Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Opinions on some samurai flicks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngusH
Castle Guard
Castle Guard
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Opinions on some samurai flicks Reply with quote
OK, I've got the itch for some new samurai films. I put this list together of titles that look interesting, and if anyone has any comments on these films I'd love to hear them... as I just can't afford to buy all these... Wink

The Cruel Story (Bakumatsu Zankoku Monogatari, 1964)
Taikoki, the story of Hideyoshi
Oda Nobunaga, The Fool who Conquered Japan (interesting title...)
Whirlwind (Shikon Mado: Dai Tatsumaki)
The Conspirator (Hangyakuji, 2004)
13 Assassins (Jusan-Nin no Shikaku, 1963)
Daredevil in the Castle (Osako-jo Monogatari, 1961)
The Hidden Blade (Kakushi-Ken: Oni no Tsume, 2004)
Lady Sen and Hideyori (Sen-hime to Hideyori, 1962)
Life of a Swordsman (Aru Kengo no Shogai, 1959)
Lord of Steel Heart (Tekka Daimyo, 1961)
Rise Against the Sword (Abare Goemon, 1966)
Silence (Chinmoku,1971)
When the Last Sword is Drawn (Mibu Gishiden, 2003)
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on some samurai flicks [quote] [/quote] Reply with quote
AngusH wrote:
The Cruel Story (Bakumatsu Zankoku Monogatari, 1964)

This is a great movie. It's black and white, featuring a memorable storyline and wonderful fights. Classic.

Quote:
Whirlwind (Shikon Mado: Dai Tatsumaki)
The Conspirator (Hangyakuji, 2004)

I have heard of these, but they are only so-so. The first stars Mifune and while it's FUN to watch...it's no impacting drama. Unless you are interesting in great technicolor and some fun ninja stuff here and there, I'd go with the proceeding or preceeding ones first. EDIT: OH, wait. This is a fun film...there's a tornado in it.

Quote:
13 Assassins (Jusan-Nin no Shikaku, 1963)

It's a dramatic epic film. Tetsuya Tanba, what could go wrong? Great fighting, wonderful kendo scenes. I fell asleep. Some people swear by this film...I swear at it.

Quote:
Daredevil in the Castle (Osako-jo Monogatari, 1961)

DO IT! Mifune is great. That's all need be said.

Quote:
The Hidden Blade (Kakushi-Ken: Oni no Tsume, 2004)
Lady Sen and Hideyori (Sen-hime to Hideyori, 1962)

The first one is the second in a Bakumatsu film series by the director of Twilight Samurai. I haven't seen it, but I have heard it's emotional and dramatic. Well done. The second is a great early Edo epic. Fine acting, dazzling technicolor...I love this film.

Quote:
Rise Against the Sword (Abare Goemon, 1966)
Silence (Chinmoku,1971)
When the Last Sword is Drawn (Mibu Gishiden, 2003)

Rise Against the Sword is black and white, Mifune. It's good...but it could have been better. I just can't finish it. It doesn't interest me. Mifune can be TOO ruffian sometimes. And it can be annoying.
Silence was a wonderful novel, and I have not had time to pick up the film.
When the Last Sword is Drawn should be ordered right this instant. It's a lengthy, great film. The acting is good, the fighting is enjoyable, and the plot is intricate and all around..ummm...GREAT.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on some samurai flicks [quote] [/quote] Reply with quote
nagaeyari wrote:

When the Last Sword is Drawn should be ordered right this instant. It's a lengthy, great film. The acting is good, the fighting is enjoyable, and the plot is intricate and all around..ummm...GREAT.

I can't vouch for the historical accuracy as the Bakumatsu is not my area, but the movie was definately good.
AngusH
Castle Guard
Castle Guard
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips guys, time to pull out the credit card.

Order list for now is The Cruel Story, Daredevil in the Castle, Lady Sen and Hideyori and When the last Sword is Drawn. I'll post some thoughts when I get my grubby hands on them.
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

This is GREAT. It's not a very "Japanese" film -- it's a retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac with Mifune (!) in the Cyrano role. But it's hella fun. I love this flick.

Tony
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Best scene:

When he's trying to find the woman in the play, and he gets on stage and does his rousing song!
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Taikoki Reply with quote
Taikoki, the story of Hideyoshi-a rather poor made for TV movie that only takes Hideyoshi up through Mitsuhide's rebellion. Sonny Chiba has a small role, it's played a lot for comedy, is wildy inaccurate, and made by the same guys who did the equally bad Takeda Shingen TV movie.
The one scene that sticks in my mind is Hideyoshi taking a nap off to the side of a bridge. Oda Nobunaga (who he has yet to meet) comes casually strolling by, looks off to the side, sees Hideyoshi, gets a big silly grin on his face, removes Lil' Oda from his hakama and takes a leak on Hideyoshi's face.
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
The one scene that sticks in my mind is Hideyoshi taking a nap off to the side of a bridge. Oda Nobunaga (who he has yet to meet) comes casually strolling by, looks off to the side, sees Hideyoshi, gets a big silly grin on his face, removes Lil' Oda from his hakama and takes a leak on Hideyoshi's face.

I love that scene.

It's not a great film, but it's fun. I had an old tape copy from when I was in Japan. I've long since burned it to DVD(s), so I can make a copy if you want it. It's not the greatest quality, I fear, but it's still quite watchable.

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: