Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Typical Samurai Garb in Bakumatsu.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundfx4
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Typical Samurai Garb in Bakumatsu. Reply with quote
Anyone remember me from last year? I came in here asking about a samurai clothing because I wanted to dress as kenshin for halloween? Well it's been a whole year and just like I said, I haven't done a bit of extra research until just recently Just Kidding

Anyway, I have a slightly different question now that I have half of an idea of what I need....where do I get this stuff?

I'm going to need

Mens Kimono or kosode whichever will work with split hakama

Mens split Hakama

Mens tatami zori

Ments tabi

and maybe Tekko

I want to also make sure that I order the right size clothing Just Kidding so can anyone tell me how to find out what sizes of these things I need, and explain the sizing method used for each different applicable piece of clothing?

I have one more question about samurai clothing and it is directly related to this picture (I used this one last year Just Kidding)

http://members.cox.net/soundfx44/01.jpg

in that picture you can see a white lining underneath his kimono....what is that? Is it even anything? Should I be concerned with it?

Thanks.
Soundfx4
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm...getting very very close to Halloween, and close to my library's cosplay event. Please, I need to know where I can buy this stuff as quickly as possible.

Thanks.

I feel I need to add this before someone attacks me. I know that kenshin was not a samurai, and he never was. But still...they called him a samurai and so that is what I've come to see him as. (edited to remove ignorance...or some of it anyway Just Kidding)

Ok, I think I got that right, samurai served masters or lords, and masterless samurai were considered Ronin. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. OH yeah, and during the Meiji period the samurai class died, right? So that would mean that samurai were still around during the Bakumatsu? Very Happy

Last edited by Soundfx4 on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soundfx4 wrote:

I feel I need to add this before someone attacks me. I know that kenshin was not a samurai, and he never was. But still...they called him a samurai and so that is what i've come to see him as, even though he is technically a Ronin.

Ok, I think I got that right, samurai served masters or lords, and masterless samurai were considered Ronin. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. OH yeah, and durring the meji period the samurai class died, right? So that would mean that samurai were still around during the Bakumatsu?

I don't think it is possible to be a ronin without being a Samurai, as a ronin would technically be a "masterless samurai", and I don't know of any "masterless peasants" who would be called "ronin" during the Edo period where you were stuck in your own class. So if you say he was "never" as samurai, how is it that he ends up as a "ronin"? Although, since Kenshin is fiction anyway, he can pretty much be whatever anyone calls him.
Soundfx4
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Soundfx4 wrote:

I feel I need to add this before someone attacks me. I know that kenshin was not a samurai, and he never was. But still...they called him a samurai and so that is what i've come to see him as, even though he is technically a Ronin.

Ok, I think I got that right, samurai served masters or lords, and masterless samurai were considered Ronin. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. OH yeah, and durring the meji period the samurai class died, right? So that would mean that samurai were still around during the Bakumatsu?

I don't think it is possible to be a ronin without being a Samurai, as a ronin would technically be a "masterless samurai", and I don't know of any "masterless peasants" who would be called "ronin" during the Edo period where you were stuck in your own class. So if you say he was "never" as samurai, how is it that he ends up as a "ronin"? Although, since Kenshin is fiction anyway, he can pretty much be whatever anyone calls him.

Crap...lol, oh well. I knew that a ronin was a samurai that lost his master, but only assumed that you could also be a ronin if...well now that I think about it, it doesn't make since that way. Oh well, we'll just call him a samurai if that's ok with you guys Just Kidding
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soundfx4 is looking for cosplay costume to be Himura Kenshin.
So I moved this thread to Anime topic.

Yoroshikune~

My advice:Try searching on ebay if you are not in Japan. The tatami sandal is called Setta.
These days, cheap Setta are made with Vinyl. Real tatami Setta are very expensive.
Soundfx4
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not really looking for a cosplay costume, I'm looking for authentic garb that a samurai would wear in that particular period, which happens to be the time period the OAVs took place in. So yes, I am trying to "dress up" as kenshin, but kenshin was a hitokiri for the rebels (I searched through wikipedia for a better word, and I can't remember for the life of me what they were referred to in the anime, so I'm just using the word rebels, I only hope I'm using it correctly) in the bakumatsu. That's why I posted that in the bakumatsu section and not in the anime and manga section. Now that I read my post again though, it really looks like it belongs in the anime section. I'll just have to be more careful the way I word things next time. Wink

Thanks for the info on the setta...although I'm a little upset to hear that they are very expensive, as tatami is (as far as I know) what they were made of back then. :\
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: