Register :: Log in :: Profile   

NHK Taiga Drama
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: NHK Taiga Drama Reply with quote
Annual Historical Dramas: 40 years sketching the shape of the nation

NHK's first Annual Historical Drama serial, A Flamboyant Life, began in April 1963, during the golden age of Japanese cinema. Under the slogan "We can match the movies!" NHK fought for audience share through the new medium of television, then sometimes described as "story-telling with electronic pictures." The first serial featured a number of famous actors, including Onoe Shoroku, Sata Keiji, Awashima Chikage, Kagawa Kyoko, and Yachigusa Kaoru.
The second serial, Ako-Roshi, had an even more distinguished cast. In the leading role was Hasegawa Kazuo, then at the height of his popularity, with support from Onoe Baiko, Yamada Isuzu and Takizawa Osamu. By featuring top actors from film, kabuki and contemporary theater, NHK's period dramas quickly won a huge public following.
The importance of casting was underscored by the third serial, Taikoki. A rising star of contemporary theater, Ogata Ken, took the lead role, with Takahashi Koji, an understudy at Bungakuza Theater, playing Oda Nobunaga, and Ishizaka Koji, a student at Keio University, taking the role of Ishida Mitsunari. A key scene in a big battle was shot from a helicopter, opening up new horizons for TV drama. Ako-Roshi achieved an average 31.9% audience share and Taikoki 31.2%. And so, by as early as the third serial, NHK's Annual Historical Dramas had established themselves as a Sunday evening fixture.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/digitalmuseum/nhk50years_en/categories/p51/index.html

04 (43) Shinsengumi!
05 (44) Yoshitsune
06 (45) Komyo ga tsuji
07 (46) Furinkazan
08 (47) Atsuhime
09 (48 ) Tenchijin
10 (49) Ryomaden
11 (50) Gou

Last edited by shikisoku on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
AngusH
Castle Guard
Castle Guard
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Man, so many titles in that list I'd love to see.

I finished watching Yoshitsune a little while ago and thought it was very well done, and I'm on the third episode of Hojo Tokimune which is also nice thus far.

How is Komyo ga tsuji if anyone is watching it?
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen a few episodes here and there, and it's fairly decent, in my opinion.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I liked Hojo Tokimune and Musashi a great deal, but Shinsengumi really turned me off, and I didn't bother with Yoshitsune when I found out who was playing the lead role. I haven't bothered with the Taiga Dramas since then, but this upcoming Furinkazan sounds kind of promising.
AngusH
Castle Guard
Castle Guard
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
I liked Hojo Tokimune and Musashi a great deal, but Shinsengumi really turned me off, and I didn't bother with Yoshitsune when I found out who was playing the lead role. I haven't bothered with the Taiga Dramas since then, but this upcoming Furinkazan sounds kind of promising.

I downloaded the first episode of Shinsengumi and turned it off right after the opening credits. Yuck, it looked terrible.

I'd recommend giving Yoshitsune another try though. I was suspect too considering how feminine the lead actor is, but he develops very well over the course of the series. The other actors are quite strong too, particularily Go-Shirakawa, Yoritomo and most of the Taira.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: List Reply with quote
Thanks for posting the list. There are some on there I hadn't heard of and now can start looking for.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw Hideyoshi, Mori Motonari, and Tokugawa Yoshinobu all the way through. I thought all three of those were great - Hideyoshi is pretty much THE classic Taiga drama as far as I am concerned. Although I think my favorite was probably Mori Motonari.
Kazuki
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

Location: Under the eaves of the closest tera, with a jingasa tipped down. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
AngusH wrote:

I downloaded the first episode of Shinsengumi and turned it off right after the opening credits. Yuck, it looked terrible.

it wasn't that bad after an episode or two. I watched all of that year's Taiga and actually had a lot of fun with it. A little cheesy but comically so. Though Katori Shingo as Kondo Isami was uh.... really disconcerting.

-Kazuki
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
 Hideyoshi is pretty much THE classic Taiga drama as far as I am concerned. Although I think my favorite was probably Mori Motonari.

I've seen all of Hideyoshi, and agree--it's fantastic. Takenaka Naoto is probably my favorite actor. I've seen bits and pieces of Hojo Tokimune, Toshiie to Matsu, Shinsengumi, Yoshitsune, and Komyo ga Tsuji. I've seen one or two episodes of Nobunaga King of Zipangu and Taiheiki as well. Toshiie to Matsu was rather funny, and interesting because the take on things was so different from Hideyoshi. In Hideyoshi, of course Hideyoshi is the hero, and One falls in love with him, etc. In T&M, Toshiie is the stud, and One and Matsu fight over him, with Matsu winning--One reluctantly takes Monkeyboy as a consolation prize, and she's not too happy about it. It was really funny.

Other than that one, none of them have really grabbed me. Komyo is fairly interesting, but I haven't caught every episode. What I've caught has been decent, though.
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't like those "smap" boys so I didn't watch Shinsengumi very often in the beginning.
But I was getting into it after they arrived at Kyoto.
I couldn't watch Yamanami's seppuku without tears!
Now I have DVD-BOX set. Very Happy

The NHK Shinsengumi members looked too young because we are use to watch older actors played Kondo Isami, Hijikata Toshizo etc..
But real Shinsengumi members were so young.
Kondo joined Mibu Roushi gumi when he was 29(Nagakura was 25, Saito and Todo were 19), Katori Shingo who played Kondo was 27 then.

It's interesting to see Katori's face was changing from when the series started to ending.
He grew up alot during "Shinsengumi!"
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh by the way,
Gakt will play Uesugi Kenshin in Furin-Kazan 2007.
Kazuki
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
I don't like those "smap" boys so I didn't watch Shinsengumi very often in the beginning.
But I was getting into it after they arrived at Kyoto.
I couldn't watch Yamanami's seppuku without tears!
Now I have DVD-BOX set. Very Happy

The NHK Shinsengumi members looked too young because we are use to watch older actors played Kondo Isami, Hijikata Toshizo etc..
But real Shinsengumi members were so young.
Kondo joined Mibu Roushi gumi when he was 29(Nagakura was 25, Saito and Todo were 19), Katori Shingo who played Kondo was 27 then.

It's interesting to see Katori's face was changing from when the series started to ending.
He grew up alot during "Shinsengumi!"

That's very true. I have to agree about the SMAP thing.. like I said, Katori was weird at first but I guess he grew on me. I wish I had the DVDs though, I had to download the series because I haven't made any trips into Japan recently (and I don't have the cash laying around to import ~50 hours of DVD footage)...

it was funny, my copy had such terrible sound quality...it was so annoying. Twisted Evil

-Kazuki
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
Oh by the way,
Gakt will play Uesugi Kenshin in Furin-Kazan 2007.

ええええええええ?マジで?いやああああああああ~!なんだぎゃああそりゃ!

Sorry about that. That's it--they've managed to officially ruin it for me. Next you'll tell me that Ueto Aya plays every female part...GAG
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Furin-Kazan Press Conference
http://www.nhk.or.jp/drama/html_news_fuurin.html

The actor on the center is Uchino Masaaki who plays Yamamoto Kansuke.
He played Bunshiro on "Semi Shigure" <-this drama was awesome.
http://www.nhk.or.jp/drama/archives/semishigure/html_midokoro.html

NHK's Friday Jidaigeki (now thursday) is pretty good too.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Who exactly is Gakt? Just some J-popper?
Kazuki
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gakuto is a J-pop/J-rock artist who got his major press with Malice Mizer back in the day. He's pretty ambitalented in terms of sheer number of instruments, and has a very good classical education, however, he's a total nutjob. He claims to be a 500-year old Norweghian vampire or somesuch.

Take Gakuto at a grain of salt.

-Kazuki
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:

Which one is it right now? I watched some of the one from the beginning of the year about the kabuki woman (Izumo no Okuni?) and it was really really good.
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
shikisoku wrote:

Which one is it right now? I watched some of the one from the beginning of the year about the kabuki woman (Izumo no Okuni?) and it was really really good.

Yagyu Jube Nanaban Shoubu
Shimabara no Ran
http://www.nhk.or.jp/jidaigeki/
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
NHK has been trying pretty hard to get younger viewers interested in the Taiga dramas, hence all the boy band recruits. I'll tolerate Gackt as long as they keep those WaT losers away from the historical stuff.

And hey, there are certain roles where Ueto Aya would be appropriate. Smile Not many, admittedly, but she's not the worst female candidate out there. Hamasaki Ayumi would be pretty weird in a jidai geki.

Musashi had good casting, I think. Nakama Yukie was great in Musashi as one of Kojirou's paramours. Yonekura Ryouko was pretty decent as O-tsuu as well.

Takenaka Naoto is a good actor with a great voice, but the dude is in EVERYTHING. He's gotta be the hardest working actor in Japan. The guy needs to take a break. Wink
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Who exactly is Gakt? Just some J-popper?

The first time I saw this dude he was in some commercial, buck naked in a ball of ice in the middle of some crowded street intersection, David-Blaine style. I'm sure it was CGI or something to sell his album. Weird. Very Visual-Kei glam rockish. Very Very androgynous. NOT who I'd pick for Kenshin at all--maybe Rurouni Kenshin, certainly not Uesugi Kenshin.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
NHK has been trying pretty hard to get younger viewers interested in the Taiga dramas, hence all the boy band recruits. I'll tolerate Gackt as long as they keep those WaT losers away from the historical stuff.

Boy banders or whatever, fine--I don't want to see Uesugi played like a cosplay. ugh.

Quote:
And hey, there are certain roles where Ueto Aya would be appropriate. Smile Not many, admittedly, but she's not the worst female candidate out there. Hamasaki Ayumi would be pretty weird in a jidai geki.

None of those roles would require talking Wink Though, I simply don't get the obsession with her. She's cuteness personified, sure--but nobody above the age of 13 should be looking at her with lust in their eyes. Yech.

Hamasaki Ayumi, however....again, no way should she have a speaking role, but "eye candy" would suit her well.

Quote:
Musashi had good casting, I think. Nakama Yukie was great in Musashi as one of Kojirou's paramours. Yonekura Ryouko was pretty decent as O-tsuu as well.

Nakama Yukie has been great in Komyo as well, and I'm a big Yonekura Ryouko fan. Did you ever catch that kitschy Bewitched show she did? That was plain awesome.

Quote:
Takenaka Naoto is a good actor with a great voice, but the dude is in EVERYTHING. He's gotta be the hardest working actor in Japan. The guy needs to take a break. Wink

He is in everything--Kitsuno and I've actually played the "find the show/movie that Takenaka is NOT in" game before. Speaking of which, he was hilarious in the aforementioned "Bewitched" show as the husband's boss...
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
Hamasaki Ayumi, however....again, no way should she have a speaking role, but "eye candy" would suit her well.

Ueto Aya has a cute mouth. She'd make a good village girl or something. Not a major romantic interest, but a minor character.

Hamasaki looks way too "gal" to be in anything involving historical Japanese. Too many eye surgeries over the years have left her looking a little alien, IMO. (She was cute as a button when "Evolution" was her hit single, but she looks very different now...)

My dream jidai geki casting is seeing Inoue Waka in some sort of a wanton, seductive woman role. An oiran or something. Shocked

That TV series *without* Takenaka Naoto game is fiendishly difficult!
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like Tsuruta Mayu. She should be in everything Jidai-geki.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
Hamasaki looks way too "gal" to be in anything involving historical Japanese. Too many eye surgeries over the years have left her looking a little alien, IMO. (She was cute as a button when "Evolution" was her hit single, but she looks very different now...)

Yeah...I don't really need her in a jidaigeki; nor is she all that outside of it. An occaisional peek, though, isn't too bad Smile

Quote:
My dream jidai geki casting is seeing Inoue Waka in some sort of a wanton, seductive woman role. An oiran or something. Shocked

You and me both, brother. Her, MEGUMI, and Yonekura Ryouko...add some Koike Eiko...ah....*don't bother me, I'm now in my happy place*

Quote:

Yep...somehow we need to make it into a drinking game... (says the guy with Takenaka as his avatar...)

Last edited by ltdomer98 on Wed May 10, 2006 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:

Quote:

Yep...somehow we need to make it into a drinking game... (says the guy with Takenaka as his avatar...)

Heh, "the five degrees of Takenaka Naoto" would probably work with American actors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: