Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Aikido and Daito Ryu
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know I do not think thast is too bad. Try having someone at your dojo who is that height, severly over weight and out of shape. And try having to do koshi nage when you are a mear 5'8 and about 130lbs. granted if you do it right weight is not to much a factor, but loading hinm up is always a problem. And then you you throw him he does not want to let go, so of course you have to roll over him to keep from land on him. Oh wait, he still held on so actual you end up doing a break fall to Crazy

Jonah Matheson
Bladeswinger
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Aikido and Daito Ryu Reply with quote
Algren-san wrote:
Bladeswinger wrote:

If there were two excellent fighters but one trained in the Way of Harmony and the "blending spirit" of Aikido the other in the Aikijutsu spirit of "I want to break every bone in your body" My money is on the Daito Ryu

I don't think either is more effective because your point about "wanting to break every bone in the body"
essentially sums up how my average Aikido class goes. Last night I had a class where the first hour all we did was arm breaking techniques then did Judo-type throws for the second hour. So Aikido isn't exactly all soft flowing motion that's generally just for the exercises and warmups. Afterwards it turns into a bunch limb snapping Steven Seagal style techniques. Very Happy

My point was not weather the waza was hard or soft but the spirt in which its applied.Looks like you do more "jutsu" than "do" <g> I trained in Aikijutsu for 20 years and my sensei was also a yudansha in Daito Ryu under Kondo Sensei.We trained in Saitomei senseis dojo for 2 years.(Washington Aikikai)We worked with aikido guys all the time. In any art, the ones who train harder and in more realistic combat spirit usally win.
Lazarou's_Ronin
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No technique need cause injury if correctly applied. As universal Aikidoka, regardless of style, we all understand that the techniques we apply to eachother are dangerous, and to the untrained eye uke dies repeatedly and through some inhuman skill manages to get up again for yet another throw. In four years, the worst injury I have received from Aiki are torn ligaments and the occasional bump and scrape. This is not to say that I do not train hard- I study both Shodokan and Yoshinkan Aikido, competing regularly at a national level for my Shodokan dojo.

I mean no sensei disrespect but to teach technniques that regularly injure students is not really concurrent with the ideals of Aiki. The specific techniques mentioned.. For instance, Nikyo, though excrutiating when correctly applied, only becomes dangerous and harmful when the intent is such.

Regarding complaints of difficult uke, We have a guy who stands about six three and weighs around eighteen stones, I love training with him because I am able to really refine my technique.

Finally, on the discussion about Daito ryu vs. Aiki.. I could not make judgement since there are far too many variables. However, should such an event occur, someone film it.. Please??

Sorry to ramble on. I love Aikido too much Embarassed
Macal
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello!

Nowadays these forms are very safe, thanx to the way of practicing, but every Martial Art can be dangerous because they come from the idea to kill or harm your enemy. I'm practice Aikido (that my speciality in the University) and the sensei's motto is "be happy and don't get injured", but sometimes it just happens...

I had a terrible injury, I've broken my left shoulder and had a ligamental split (break,burst...I don't know wichone is the correct word in english:() after enduring a "successful" "sankyo-nage", and the consequence can be seen on the picture, this was after my first operation...It"s called "Bosworth Screw Fixing"Very Happy or something like that...

This was my worst injury in the 14 years of training in different martial arts, mainly karate and aikido.
But i think that Aikido isn't a dangerous thing, if You're take care of Youself and your partner.

In Karate most of the injuries happened in competitions.
Hometutor
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh man you're screwed

Okay sorry couldn't help it

Rick
Red Anjin
Beggar
Beggar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
Algren-san,

Then your school must follow a different track than Ueshiba originally had in mind. Hard techniques did not play a part in his teachings. There is a separate sect of aikidou called Nihon Goshin Aikidou that was founded by Shodo Morita that has considerably more hard techniques to it and is, in general, a different animal that Ueshiba's creation.

平和,

マット

Yeah, not so sure about that. There is this romanticized myth that O-Sensei's aikido was gentle and not about harming people. I trained under ASU schools on the east coast and have attended after seminar parties where Satome Sensei would quote O-Sensei as saying "Its the way of harmony because your opponent can't get up". Aikido is a martial art, and while its explicit aim is not to kill and maim, that option is always available.

I'd also like to add that for anyone to say what O-Sensei's intentions were or were not is pretty arrogant. Did you happen to hang with him? I doubt it. Just because its called the Way of Harmony doesn't mean its not designed to break people.

Red Anjin
Isimaru
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i take akido and i have been told it is a way to harmanise with your self and the world around you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: